The downside of using com.atlassian.jira.jira-core dependency? Edited

When the SDK creates a plugin, it comment the com.atlassian.jira.jira-core dependency:

<!-- Add dependency on jira-core if you want access to JIRA implementation classes as well as the sanctioned API. -->
<!-- This is not normally recommended, but may be required eg when migrating a plugin originally developed against JIRA 4.x -->
<!--
<dependency>
<groupId>com.atlassian.jira</groupId>
<artifactId>jira-core</artifactId>
<version>${jira.version}</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
-->

Why is this normally not recommended and what are the downsides?

I want to use SelectCFType from it.

Thx

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Gaston Valente Community Champion Jul 23, 2017

Harald,

Getting that dependency allows your code to reference direct classes at a lower level that the recommended by using services and manager interfaces.

I think that the downside is related to the grade of coupling your code will had with atlassian's api.

Sometimes, if you need to reference concrete classes, for example to inherit from them, this is required.

Just for you to know, i just try to remove this dependency in a custom mail handler i have that uses SelectCFType:

<dependency>
<groupId>com.atlassian.jira</groupId>
<artifactId>jira-core</artifactId>
<version>${jira.version}</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

Then i cannot use concrete classes:

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 22.29.33.png 

Good answer. Loose coupling always makes sense. Even if the Jira Core classes will not change very frequently. Thx

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

572 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you