When we imported issues from Fogbugz some of the issues don't have a description. When I look into this, I discovered the issues in question where created by email submission.
The description of the issue in Fogbugz is not getting imported into JIRA. So in JIRA the description is blank or non existent when there should be the same data found in Fogbugz. This only seems to happen when the issue in Fogbugz was created by someone sending an email to fogbugz.
Ahh, thanks for explaining, I was sure I was missing something. The question now is what is different in the data? I mean between one that imported and one that did not. The importer really does just copy whatever was in the fields in Fogbugz, I don't thnk it processes it at all. I'm suspecting incoming email is putting something in there that's not being rendered. One nagging doubt - if you edit the issue in Jira, go into the description section, select all and then copy it and paste it into a text editor, is there anything there at all?
OK, I figured it out. This should help someone who runs into the same problem.
After further review, I determined that the import process doesn't know how to handle MIME messages in the "s" field of the bugevent table. It looks like Fogbuz will store the entire email with all its MIME parts. Fogbugz will also store a plain text version in the "sHTML" field in the bugevent table. So you only need to copy the data in "sHTML" into "s" to have the description show up on the imported issues.
I looked into the description field in the JIRA database and it is blank on these types of Fogbugz issues. You can simply click on the description edit to see that there isn't anything. By looking at the data in the database directly, I was able to verify that it wasn't something in JIRA that could not render the data.
You can see if this is the case in your Fogbugz instance by running a select statement against the Fogbugz database. The results should show you all the rows that have MIME data in the "s" field.
select * from bugevent where femail = 1 and s like '%MIME%';
Before you run the update command, you should backup your Fogbugz database and run tests against a development database prior to doing this in production. You should also verify that all issues in the project have the correct data as this could cause problems with your instance. I would even make a copy of your production Fogbugz database and run the below statement and import from database copy, so as to not cause any side effects with Fogbugz. The below SQL statement was used to fix the problem in our instance.
update bugevent set s = shtml where femail = 1 and s like '%MIME%';
Atlassian may want to open a case. I looked and couldn't find any cases with this issue. In the meantime, the above is a good workaround until then.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs