The description field is blank after importing issues from Fogbugz

DavidL October 21, 2014

When we imported issues from Fogbugz some of the issues don't have a description. When I look into this, I discovered the issues in question where created by email submission.

2 answers

0 votes
DavidL October 21, 2014

OK, I figured it out. This should help someone who runs into the same problem.

After further review, I determined that the import process doesn't know how to handle MIME messages in the "s" field of the bugevent table. It looks like Fogbuz will store the entire email with all its MIME parts. Fogbugz will also store a plain text version in the "sHTML" field in the bugevent table. So you only need to copy the data in "sHTML" into "s" to have the description show up on the imported issues.

I looked into the description field in the JIRA database and it is blank on these types of Fogbugz issues. You can simply click on the description edit to see that there isn't anything. By looking at the data in the database directly, I was able to verify that it wasn't something in JIRA that could not render the data.

You can see if this is the case in your Fogbugz instance by running a select statement against the Fogbugz database. The results should show you all the rows that have MIME data in the "s" field.

select * from bugevent where femail = 1 and s like '%MIME%';

Before you run the update command, you should backup your Fogbugz database and run tests against a development database prior to doing this in production. You should also verify that all issues in the project have the correct data as this could cause problems with your instance. I would even make a copy of your production Fogbugz database and run the below statement and import from database copy, so as to not cause any side effects with Fogbugz. The below SQL statement was used to fix the problem in our instance.

update bugevent set s = shtml where femail = 1 and s like '%MIME%';

Atlassian may want to open a case. I looked and couldn't find any cases with this issue. In the meantime, the above is a good workaround until then.

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

Could you share with me what version of JIRA importers plugin were you using? We had a very similar bug there: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1000, and it was fixed in JIM 6.1.5

DavidL October 21, 2014

I tried with the 6.2.3, 6.2.4 and 6.2.5 version of the plugin. All the versions have the same result.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2014

I think I'm missing part of the question here - You imported empty stuff from Fogbugz?  Has something gone missing?  Did you expect JIRA to put something in the description when it was empty in Fogbugz?

DavidL October 21, 2014

The description of the issue in Fogbugz is not getting imported into JIRA. So in JIRA the description is blank or non existent when there should be the same data found in Fogbugz. This only seems to happen when the issue in Fogbugz was created by someone sending an email to fogbugz.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2014

Ahh, thanks for explaining, I was sure I was missing something. The question now is what is different in the data? I mean between one that imported and one that did not. The importer really does just copy whatever was in the fields in Fogbugz, I don't thnk it processes it at all. I'm suspecting incoming email is putting something in there that's not being rendered. One nagging doubt - if you edit the issue in Jira, go into the description section, select all and then copy it and paste it into a text editor, is there anything there at all?

Suggest an answer