The TESTER field is visible on the < Test Sub-task > but only to the Reporter. Why?

Richard Grove April 4, 2023

Our team recently merged with a testing group. The testing group uses Jira < Test Sub-task > issues. They started creating < Test > issues and were puzzled by (a) the lack of a due date and (b) the fact that only the Reporter could see the Tester field. I'm wondering if this is a global setting. Thanks.Jira-testSub-test_TesterField.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you using a testing tool to provide the "tester" field?  I can't explain the invisible tester field (to all but reporter) without an app that provides this unusual behaviour.

It may also be related to the due date.  But that would be expected if you were using plain Jira - a sub-task is very much a fragment of the parent issue, and you infer things like due-date from the parent, they don't have their own.

Richard Grove April 5, 2023

No commercial testing tool is currently being used; users run scripts and verifying the outcome. The < Test Sub-task > object does NOT have any date fields in it that I can see, unlike the < Sub-task > object. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Ok, so your "test sub task" and "sub task" objects will be plain issue types at the sub-task level.

So the simple answer is that one of them is set up to have dates and the other is not.

Richard Grove April 5, 2023

It seems that my team's request needs to go back to our company's Jira administrators to have them modify the issues and add the fields that we need. Thank you for your insights.

Suggest an answer