The 'Organizations' field isn't available on the dashboard dropdown menus.

Marty Wright April 6, 2021

I've just started using the Service Management Cloud product.  We provide service to a number of different client organizations, so I'm using the 'Organizations' functionality.  Now I'm trying to set up a dashboard report and want to use the 'Two dimensional Filter Statistics' gadget to show the tickets by Status (YAxis) and Organization (XAxis)... but Organizations isn't available in the dropdown.  I read that fields configured with "None" in the Search Template Option will not appear in any dropdowns, but the 'Organizations' field is locked, so can't do much with it... is there any way I can use it in my dashboard gadgets?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2021

Hello @Marty Wright,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When it comes to Dashboard gadgets, currently, it’s not possible to add the field Organizations. 

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive updates about the feature.

The workaround, for now, is to use an add-on that has this functionality. You can find some options on our Marketplace.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Marty Wright April 9, 2021

Thanks Angélica,  I appreciate the quick and concise response... though I was hoping for a different answer :) I'm about at the end of my add-on budget already, so its tough to keep looking for work arounds for some issues that seem pretty fundamental.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
John Bogoev April 18, 2022

This would be very helpful. I vote to add the Organization field.

0 votes
Engin Erkan January 18, 2023

I don't see any reason why a field would not appear in the dashboards as an option. Why not just default make all fields available to the user? It is up to the user how to make use of fields anywhere he wants. 

Bruno M_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2024

I guess it's because the Organizations field is multi valued. One single issue can be associated with more than one Organization.

So imagine you have a pie graph and have to add +1 to count the total of issues per organization. Suddenly there's an Issue with 2 organizations set on the field. What do you do?

Add +1 to both? But wait! Now the total value for the entire Pie Graph don't add up to the amount of Issues you are analyzing! A picky boss or partner that try to save as much money as possible and checks every math might find that weird.

Well, so let's just choose the first Org set on the field... what if this one was the most expansive one? You just cost your boss 5% more money, the second option would have been much cheaper. Fired! (this is actually what might happen for those who try to mirror the Organizations field on a new custom field using automation).

What I'm trying to say is, the default dashboard widgets don't offer all the possible configurations for us to correctly interpret the field analytically. I haven't checked, but I guess all multi valued select fields won't be on the Dashboard.

I do, however, agree with you very much! At least 60% of my indicators are based on the Organizations field. We should have a better graph available, at least for that field.

Suggest an answer