Test issue type - status from Workflow versus Test Cycle Execution status

I am using Zephyr for JIRA to create Test issues, and will group these Test issues via Test Cycles to repeat them a few times that align with key phases of my project.

In my JIRA project, I have a custom workflow for Test issues that have the following statuses:

• Not started
  • In Progress
  • Blocked
  • Pass
  • Fail
  • Deferred

If I view these Test issues in the Test Summary page (dropdown Tests > Test Summary), the Status shown here corresponds with the Workflow based status. 

However, if I put this Test issue into a Test Cycle and execute the test cycle, then there is a separate set of Test Execution statuses:

• Unexecuted
  • WIP
  • Blocked
  • Pass
  • Fail

However, it doesn't appear that these Test Execution statuses are linked in anyway to the Test issue status that are derived from the Workflow assigned to issues of type Test

My question

• how does JIRA intend to use the Workflow-derived status for Test issues versus the statuses of the Test Cycle execution? 
  • Is there any link between these two different statuses?

My only guess here is that the Workflow-derived status at the Test issue level refers to the test case for the overall project as a whole, and intended to be the longer term container item for the Test Cycles where this task can appear.

2 answers

Hi Saket,

Thank you for your in-depth question. Currently, there is no link between JIRA's Issue Type workflow statuses and Zephyr for JIRA's execution statuses. As you have guessed, the workflow status is for the overall test issue and the test execution statuses are just for executions in that cycle.

A test issue can have a single status based on it's workflow. However, this test issue can be executed multiple times. Each time this test is run by a tester, it will have its own executions status that can be changed at any time and multiple times.

Your questions can be directly answered by saying that there are no interactions currently between an issue status and a Zephyr for JIRA execution status.

OK, that is a major problem for us, as Confluence, where we have linked test cases in Jira only shows the test issue status and not the latest test execution status. So confluence isnt updated with the latest exection status.

Has this not changed since three years ago?

Is this still the case? there is no link between workflow status and test execution status?

Yes, this is still the case, my advice is to look at other tools if possible. We will most likley stop using Zephyr in our organization.

Brg Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply!  I understand now – thanks. 

best,

Saket

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,693 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you