Tempo: Parent issue rollup report

Tempo team - Why is there no parent issue roll-up report in the product yet? For instance, I can run a report and filter the rows displayed by 1) Projects, 2) Activities, 3) Issues, or 4) Worklogs. #1 and #2 are too high level. #4 has too much detail. And #3 rolls up to subtasks (example below), but not even the name of the parent is visible. To get a report in front of the business people, we need to show them the list of parent issues; they could care less about the subtasks it takes to perform the work.

What are others doing to compensate? Or better yet, what's the ETA from Tempo for this very basic need?

//This is what we get today that does not work (filtering rows=Issues)

JiraProjectKey - JiraProjectName

JiraProjectKey - Version

JiraParentIssueKey / JiraSubtaskIssueKey JiraSubtaskIssueSummary JiraSubtaskIssueTimeSpent

//This is what we need (filtering rows=Parent Issues)

JiraProjectKey - JiraProjectName

JiraProjectKey - Version

JiraParentIssueKey / JiraParentIssueSummary JiraParentIssueSumOfTimeSpent

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Tempo team? Anything?

Yesterday, I had to release a customer billing report by a) providing the Tempo report by subtasks and then b) also including a table result set of a search to provide the titles of the parent issues. Together, the customer is going to have to mind map the two documents to understand what we did. This is stupid...

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Paul

After conferring with the Tempo Timesheet product owner I can tell you that this is not on the immediate roadmap.

Tempo is always looking to to improve the reporting within Timesheets and the product manager would like to get further information regarding your case and suggested that you take a look at an issue that is logged in our external Jira that touches on the same issue that you are facing. The product owners monitor those issues so this could be a excellent channel for you to get your ideas directly to them

The link to the issue is: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/TT-81

Best regards,

Birgir Asthorsson

Tempo user community - What are you doing in your world to produce a report by parent issue? At this point, I can't believe this simple report demand cannot be yielded. Help me out someone. Big thanks.

Here is an example of what I need, and assume all of us need, right?

I second that this is a very reasonable request and we are missing this feature, too.. For the moment, we help us with using JIRA Structure to create an Epic -> Story > SubTask overview and let all the spent time accumulate.. But this is only half the way because this is always overall time and not a time frame like per month or per sprint.

I still cannot believe you and I, Matthias, are the only people affected by this. Without this report structure, I cannot justify paying this kind of money every year for Tempo...I just can't...sad.

We are configuring a new instance of JIRA and can't believe that issues under an epic don't roll up to tempo but subtasks do.  This makes the way we use JIRA VERY LIMITING.

Adding in another vote for getting this in the product.  Not very efficient when I have to download the data and pull it into another program to get some basic reporting.

Indeed, it would be very useful when reporting hours spent on sub-tasks associated to an epic. Currently I need to do some serious Excel filtering to get the data.

For everyone here and those who will come here, please see the linked Tempo issue above. Vote on it there and add your detailed comments for the Tempo PM to consider. I still can't believe it's so few of us struggling with this very basic need. We can't very well share a report with an Exec with a bunch of lines like "Devd on it" and "testing foobar" and "build hemoglobin" and other low level work items that don't align with the business. Our parent issues and the accumulated hours on the parent issues are what the business cares about and my fiscal people have to stand up to. Thoughts :-|?

Couldn't agree more Paul, I'm astounded this cannot be done out of the box with reports.

I continue the fund the Tempo Timesheets product, but continue to be very disappointed by the lack of this basic report structure...while Tempo has certainly grown in some areas, those growth areas are not nearly enough to compensate for this missing functionality.

Hey guys,

this bugs us also and Tempo isn't the only time tracking software, that behaves somehow like this. Because of that we created our own reporting and analytics tool called Exply, which was created to work perfectly with JIRA and Tempo data: Exply for JIRA and Tempo

You may check it out and tell me what you think. There's surely room for improvement, so let me know what's missing, so that we can quickly put it on the roadmap :) 

Sandstorm, I'm always interested in new add-ons, but without a Cloud-ready option I'm out at the moment. On a sidebar, I'm actually looking at making a move from Cloud to Server in 2020; year one costs are pretty steep, but subsequent years suggest ~20% reduction in what I'm paying now.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

576 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you