Templates for ticket creation in a company managed project

LJ Durante
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 24, 2024

My company has multiple company managed projects. We recently have been trying to become aligned on ticket management and one of the ways we aim to do so is to create templates for tickets. Is there any way to make templated tickets in company managed projects as you can do in team-managed projects? 

Please let me know if it is, or if there are any work arounds to solve this issue. 

5 answers

0 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2024

Hi @LJ Durante

It's not possible using native functionalities in Jira. The only way is using app for that. I can recommend a solution developed by my team: Issue Templates Agent for Jira. This app works on the native Create issue screen. You need to only create templates for issues by defining values in fields. We support not only Summary and Description but also a long list of system and custom fields.

With our app, you can also create a template for the whole structure (Epic > Story Subtasks).

I would be happy to show what you can achieve with our app during the free call which you can book under this link: calendly.com/appsvio 🙂

Kate

0 votes
Pavel Pavlovsky_AppLiger_ June 27, 2024

Hey @LJ Durante ,

Welcome to the community!

There are indeed a few template apps available on the Atlassian Marketptlace. We recommend trying our Easy Issue Templates for Jira app for Free!

You can easily save your Jira ticket as a template and use it for the recurrent creation of new Jira tickets across your company (or team)-managed projects

You may also utilize Variables functionality and multilevel hierarchy structure of Epics, Tasks, and Subtasks to boost your team's performance and standardize the process of Jira issues creation.

Feel free to get in touch!

Pavel

0 votes
Lukas Nicolai_Seibert_Media_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2024

Hey @LJ Durante I am the Product Marketing Manager at Seibert Media, and I think our Templating.app could be a good solution for you.

With our features, administrators can create Jira Project Templates with pre-defined schemes. After setup, non-admins can create projects based on templates with available schemes.

You can also create templates for issues and issue hierarchies (epic, task, subtask) and add various information like descriptions, due dates, and assignees. You can also add pre-existing issues to your template.

Hope that helps! If you have any further questions about your use case, feel free to jump on a call with us.

0 votes
Tommaso Gionfriddo _Teklada_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2024

Welcome @LJ Durante ,

When you say "templates", are you referring to defining a set of required fields, a required format for your issue descriptions, or something else?

Fields can be controlled via Screens and workflows, but the other options are not possible out of the box.

LJ Durante
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 24, 2024

a set of of required fields. For example we have the description text bot, then I would like to add potentially a DOD text box and maybe something else. But from what it looks like, it is not a something that is currently available? 

Like Morgan Watts likes this
Morgan Watts June 24, 2024

@LJ Durante  To mark new required fields, like summary and description, you need to edit the "field configuration" being used by the relevant issue type in your project(s).

I typically create a copy of the current field configuration, edit the fields in the new copy to mark the necessary fields as "required," and then associate that field configuration with the issue type you want to template.

What I've done for a recent use-case was:

• Decide what "issue type" you want templated.
    • I created a new one because it was a new process/unit of work 
  • Associate a screen scheme to that issue type 
    • Usually requires creation of a new screen. 
    • This gives you a set list of fields that always appear when a user clicks on the issue or is creating an issue.
  •  Create a new "field configuration" for this issue type to use.
    • Again, I typically just "copy" the default and edit that copy for consistency 
    • In this "field configuration" you can scroll through the list of available fields and click a button on the right side of the screen that toggles them as "required."
      • The custom field will be labeled "Required" in a blue text lozenge. Under "action," on the right side of your screen, it will say "optional" when a field is correctly marked "required"
      • If you see "required" under "action," it means that field is "optional." It's a confusing toggle, in my opinion, and it took me some time to get used to it.

Once you have what you like, you can add the new issue type, screen scheme, and field configuration to the current schemes that are shared by the company-managed projects to quickly apply shared settings across all projects. 

Reminder- if you change the "default field configuration" and start making fields "required," it'll impact all projects and all issue types which can cause a headache. For example, if "DoD text box" is marked required, it'll have to be filled out for any non-DoD related issues unless set-up properly. Which is why I choose to apply a "field configuration" to a specific issue type. 

0 votes
Nicolas Grossi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2024
Tommaso Gionfriddo _Teklada_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2024

Cloning a single issue seems like overkill. I'd be more likely to recommend copying a description from a Confluence page instead of this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events