What's the best way to create a JIRA Issue template?

Kevin Hylant March 19, 2018

I see a 3rd party extension for creating issue templates that is somewhat well-adopted, but it doesn't have very good reviews & is not free. I also found this documentation from JIRA that seemed optimistic, but it looks to be out of date as I cannot follow the steps successfully.

Has anyone found an easy way to quickly create a JIRA Issue template to autofills on selection?

2 answers

0 votes
Paul Rowlands July 16, 2020

A simple approach is to create a dummy ticket and clone from that...

Anton Faller October 3, 2022

By cloning dummy-tickets, all issues and sub-tasks are added with the prefix "CLONE - "...
Its a workaround, but not a lean one.

I hope that some day a simple 'Issue Template' button appears in the menu bar.

Aleksandra Bosacka _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 5, 2022

Hi @Anton Faller 

After reading your follow-up, I think you may find our Issue Templates for Jira app handy. It allows for configuring a separate templates repository, which you could use to create dedicated templates for every repetitive type of issue in your project, such as a bug report or requirement, to standardize the issue content. The templates created this way can populate any fields values, but also copy sub-tasks or issue links.

What is more, the app provides its own Create from template button which is available next to the native button, under the Apps dropdown on the top bar.

Hopefully, you will find it useful!

Cheers,
Aleksandra from Deviniti

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2019

Hi @Kevin Hylant

Here is a workaround:

• You can create new jira project, configure the custom schemes and call them as say 'Dept A template'.
  • While creating a new project, select 'Create with shared configuration'
  • image.png
  • And select 'Dept A template' project as source project and proceed with the creation.

Suggest an answer