Team managed vs company managed project

N T
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2023

Please let me which type of project is suitable, team managed or company managed ?

I would like to add members and set configurations and such if that helps.
I've done Jira config in the past, creating workflows, managing user, rights, etc. I also know that I'll need to do a Jira/Asana integration.
So ultimately looking for the most control and flexibility where we can self service if possible.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

I would propose to go with Company managed project. They are more flexible but have more maintenance.

N T
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2023

How about the flexibility where we can have self-service? I feel it's not possible with Company managed?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

If with self service you mean the ability for a project admin to have full control over the project, not exactly. That flexibility comes with team managed projects. But with team managed project workflow options (conditions, validators, post functions) are limited. 

Like # people like this
Arnold June 28, 2023

I have the luxury of whenever I'm on a number of teams (e.g. as I am now) I'm also the Jira Admin :)

So even with a team that chooses to use Company Managed, I can make changes for them.

However, I get it that not everyone has that luxury and needs to go through a/the Jira Admin(s) (I was in that situation 11 years ago - the sole Jira Admin became my best work-buddy ;)

Team Managed is more limited because it's still in its infancy:  Jira started in 2002 so is 21 years old and is quite mature:  that's the 'Company Managed' as of today.  Atlassian heard of the pain of going through a team of Jira Admins 'just to do this' so they brought about Team Managed around 15 years later / 6 years ago (I don't know the exact year, this is my rough approximation - comment if you know the year Team Managed arrived on the market) - so it's only 6yo - still in its infancy and still growing and developing and maturing.

Do what I did:  use both in parallel:  Have two projects, one TM and one CM and interact with both for the same stuff (yeah, you'll be double-entering, but it's the best way to learn and discover what's better for you (both have pros and cons (the con of CM is you need to go through a Jira Admin for certain things; the con of TM less flexibility and features than CM).

Suggest an answer