Tasks with Points linked to a story

George Blockwitz May 19, 2022

I have a shared story within my scrum team, such as 'Operations' with this story being shared amongst team members, each item they work on gets added as a Sub-Task to the story. My problem comes up when you go to sprint planning, only the dev assigned to the story has the points on them. We are trying to manage this by only having 1 team always assigned and monitor the work that gets done, but for other team members that don't have the story assigned to them, they may only show 3 points in a sprint, however they know their going to do 'Operations' work. So my question is if I cannot create Tasks from a story and add points to the Task, any suggestion on how to best solve this problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2022
Hi George,

Thanks for using the Atlassian Community!

Sub-tasks cannot be assigned story points. If you need to have multiple individuals working on a set of sub-tasks for a Story Issue, it might be better to shift the Story to an Epic, and then the sub-tasks to Tasks. That way you can assign the individual users working the Tasks to the those work items. You will be able to assign story points to Tasks as well.

This post elaborates a bit further on using story points with sub-tasks: How can I use story points with sub-tasks

Does this sound like something that might resolve your issue? If I have misunderstood your request please let me know and I would be happy to discuss further.

Best,
Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events