Tables magically sprouting new columns?

Wider Campos January 16, 2020

The new issue view tables are getting new columns out of nowhere.

Maybe this is happening because some status transitions open a modal with the description field in it, and this field does not use the new issue view markdown. A similar issue happened before with bullet lists and bold colored text (but that's fixed now).

I've seen this happen to tables with varied number of columns. In the attached image, both tables had only two columns when they were in the PLANNING status. Now that they are in the TEST status, they have an extra empty column.

Selection_001.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello Wider,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Reading the details you provided, I’m afraid your site is being affected by a bug where the newlines are not processed correctly and am extra heading row is added. This happens if the table is created on the old view and then it will show the extra column if viewing on the new view.

The first bug mentions about a table with a single column, but it also happens if the table has more than one column.

Please, click on “This affects my team” and also watch to receive updates about the bug.

Regards,
Angélica

Wider Campos January 17, 2020

Hello Angélica,

I'm not sure the issues you mentioned are the same ones that are happening to me. The tables in the picture were created in the new issue view. We didn't notice exactly at what point they started having the extra column, but they were not created in the old issue view.

Thanks,
Wider

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Thank you for the information, Wider.

Would you mind sharing a full screenshot for us to check where how is it showing and which view? Please, just hide the sensitive information and post here if possible.

I'm asking because your screenshot shows a grey background and I tested here and couldn't replicate.

Would it be possible to create a test ticket and add a table on the description and on a comment to check if the same issue will happen?

Wider Campos January 20, 2020

Hello Angélica,

Oh, the grey background is just because the mouse cursor was hovering the description when I took the screenshot, but here's a full page screenshot:

Screenshot_2020-01-20 [GIOS-227] Como usuário eu gostaria de ter a informação dos estabelecimentos que pertencem a cada gru[...].png

The same issue doesn't happen with tables in comments as far as I know. You asked me to create a "test ticket", is there a way to create a test (dummy/sandbox) issue to test these things?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

Thank you, Wider.

I tried to replicate the issue here by creating a template using markdown and wiki markup, but it works as expected.

For us to try to replicate, it would be necessary the exact steps. 

If this issue is happening on this specific project, then it would be good to create a test ticket. If it won’t affect anything on the project, please create a test ticket and follow the same steps of the ticket of the screenshot you sent.

If it doesn’t show any personal information, it would be great if you could record a video and show us the steps. You can upload it on youtube or if the video is not too big, I can send an email and you send it directly to us.

Also, we would like to know what add-ons you are using. 

The text of the description looks like a template and not something manually created, so if you are using an add-on to add this template or copying it from another tool and pasting on the description, please let us know.

Wider Campos January 27, 2020

Hello, Angelica

One of my colleagues has confirmed that this happens after a transition that has the description field in the status transition modal (which brings the description in the old issue view format).

She, my colleague, was the one that created the issues, and she was using a template, but she's just copying this template from another issue in another project on another jira cloud (different company, different URL). She said that on that project they had a template set up, so, when they created an issue, the description was pre-filled with the template.

So, in a way, the issue was being created using the old issue view, because the create modal (from the other project) had the description template in the old issue view formatting (I keep forgetting which one is markup and which one is markdown). And she was copying the text from the new issue view, but from an issue created usind the old one. That said, this is probably the first bug you mentioned in your first response.

We're not using any add-ons as far as I know. The only thing I know we use is Zephyr.

But we're going to remove the description field from the transition, since it doesn't really make sense to have it there.

Thanks!

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer