Table Of Contents MACRO in Confluence keeps making empty bullets, and some are not clickable?

The Table of Contents Macro in Confluence keeps taking my headings and displaying them like this, with random spaces (even though my document doesnt have them)

1. Ex Heading 1

2. Ex Heading 2

  • Ex Sub category
  • (bullet with empty space)
  • Ex Sub category

3. Ex Heading 3

  1. Ex
  2. (empty space)
  3. Ex
    1. Ex
    2. Ex
    3. (empty space)

4. Ex Heading 4

SO, as you can see- it leaves random spaces for no reason, as well as some of those ex's are not clickable AT all. The mouse hovers over them but doesn't bring you to any specific point in the document.

Suggestions/Solutions??

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

Looks to me like you probably have some extraneous H1's and H2's in the document that you can't see... either they have no text or some other style property is hiding them.

I would select Tools > View Storage Format on the page, and then look for empty headings. Then go back to the editor and remove them.

Thanks, that does help alot. I see empty headings, and I was able to rid most of them but one of them just wont budge. Theres not even a space in the document between lines and it says theres a heading there? Well, I'll figure that out.

Any ideas about the bullets not linking to the headings in the document though?

"Tools > View Storage Format" does not exist -1

The "Tools" menu item has now changed to 3 dots "..." on the top right corner (next to "Share"). Also, this menu is shown only in view mode, not in edit mode. In my case, the TOC macro itself had a h2 formatting and that was resulting in an extra/empty bullet in the TOC.

I don't see "View Storage Format" under 3 dots "..."

Good call. My TOC element was actually formatted a h1 (this happens quite often when I add a TOC to the beginning of an existing page, just above the first header). Changing it to paragraph did the trick. Thanks!

For the bullets, check the anchor tags and see if there's anything funky going on there. Just open the page in a browser and mouse over the bullet links. It should have a "#" plus the heading. If it doesn't then there might be something else going on.

I figured it out. I didn't have a space between the heading number and name for the ones that didn't click through. Thanks!

I have faced the same issue. After an hour we found out that the Headings format were accidently applied for some inserted images. Once removing the heading formats from the images my table of contents looked awesome.

Hope it helps someone.

0 vote

In my case the header was applied to TOC macro itself. Once removed, all looks good.

1.png

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot