Table Of Contents MACRO in Confluence keeps making empty bullets, and some are not clickable?

Michelle Civil June 13, 2012

The Table of Contents Macro in Confluence keeps taking my headings and displaying them like this, with random spaces (even though my document doesnt have them)

1. Ex Heading 1

2. Ex Heading 2

• Ex Sub category
  • (bullet with empty space)
  • Ex Sub category

3. Ex Heading 3

1. Ex
  2. (empty space)
  3. Ex
    1. Ex
    2. Ex
    3. (empty space)

4. Ex Heading 4

SO, as you can see- it leaves random spaces for no reason, as well as some of those ex's are not clickable AT all. The mouse hovers over them but doesn't bring you to any specific point in the document.

Suggestions/Solutions??

Thanks!

7 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2012

Looks to me like you probably have some extraneous H1's and H2's in the document that you can't see... either they have no text or some other style property is hiding them.

I would select Tools > View Storage Format on the page, and then look for empty headings. Then go back to the editor and remove them.

Thanks, that does help alot. I see empty headings, and I was able to rid most of them but one of them just wont budge. Theres not even a space in the document between lines and it says theres a heading there? Well, I'll figure that out.

Any ideas about the bullets not linking to the headings in the document though?

Deleted user April 18, 2016

"Tools > View Storage Format" does not exist -1

Suresh Ramaswamy May 16, 2016

The "Tools" menu item has now changed to 3 dots "..." on the top right corner (next to "Share"). Also, this menu is shown only in view mode, not in edit mode. In my case, the TOC macro itself had a h2 formatting and that was resulting in an extra/empty bullet in the TOC.

Like # people like this
Terry Yoder September 27, 2016

I don't see "View Storage Format" under 3 dots "..."

Jeff Leake December 28, 2016

Good call. My TOC element was actually formatted a h1 (this happens quite often when I add a TOC to the beginning of an existing page, just above the first header). Changing it to paragraph did the trick. Thanks!

Like # people like this
David Childers September 14, 2018

Thx Jeff, I put cursor at begining of TOC element, selected Paragraph, did the same with cursor at the end of element and boom, problem solved.

Like # people like this
Japreet Kaur Saini July 17, 2019

Very true Jeff and David. It did worked for me.

19 votes
kolorobot January 4, 2018

In my case the header was applied to TOC macro itself. Once removed, all looks good.

1.png

Ben Conrad February 26, 2018

Yep, that did it for me.  Thx.

olaanders September 26, 2018

Excellent! Thanks.

Mykhailo_Khranovskyi February 21, 2019

Thank you=)

Chilayne Barratt March 6, 2019

thanks so much! this worked perfectly

0 votes
Ryan Shillington June 7, 2021

The table of contents only displays the PUBLISHED headers. Not the ones in draft.

0 votes
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2019

Agree with the above, look for a page element such as an image, macro, etc. that has a heading style applied.

0 votes
N Benjamin Murphy May 23, 2019

I had a similar problem. It turns out that the headings, while still looking like headings, somehow were changed to paragraph format. Highlighting and reassigning the correct Heading level did the trick.

0 votes
Daniel Raja June 14, 2017

I have faced the same issue. After an hour we found out that the Headings format were accidently applied for some inserted images. Once removing the heading formats from the images my table of contents looked awesome.

Hope it helps someone.

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

For the bullets, check the anchor tags and see if there's anything funky going on there. Just open the page in a browser and mouse over the bullet links. It should have a "#" plus the heading. If it doesn't then there might be something else going on.

I figured it out. I didn't have a space between the heading number and name for the ones that didn't click through. Thanks!

Suggest an answer