Sync issues from one project as component of another

Sandrine Boissel March 11, 2019

I have 2 separate projects - I would like one project to have a component containing all of the issues from the other but without any of the epics, versions and components being carried over as well. It doesn't seem that there is a straightforward way to do this but is there a way to automatically duplicate and sync tasks so that the completion of the issue on either project board will carry over to the other?

3 answers

2 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 14, 2019

Hello Sandrine,

There are a couple of free apps on the marketplace which allow to automate such settings, but they not always cover all requirements.  Is this in the cloud or in server - I can then provide some links.

Alternatively you can build your own app using the atlassian SDK - more information here
https://developer.atlassian.com/ - it is fun to do and you learn quite a lot about the inner working of JIra.

Lastly, the commercial apps do have a cost associated, but in many cases the cost is much less than the effort you will have to do yourself to get it right. Keeping it compatible with future versions of the app is always a hidden cost.

Francis

(I'm with the team building Exalate - a commercial app which can be used to implement your use case)

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2019

Hi @Sandrine Boissel

you could also try an issue sync app.

You can set up a synchronization between both projects and synchronize all issues unidirectional to the project where you want them to be with a certain component. While they are being synchronized, you'd need to define a default value for the component so that all issues get the desired component set.

And you can configure what information should be synchronized, so no epic links, versions or components as you say.

I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync. If you want to go with our solution and need more details how to set it up, we can also help you via support@k15t.com.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Sandrine Boissel March 14, 2019

Thank you for your suggestion - unfortunately I was looking for a free solution - this isn't enough of an issue at the moment for us to pay for an additional app, but I will keep this in mind!

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2019

Fair enough, @Sandrine Boissel! You could try to describe your scenario in a new question and give some background what you want to achieve. Maybe someone has a good tip for you how you can arrange your projects in a certain way to achieve something to which comes close to your desired behavior.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2019

Hello Sandrine,

How are you? I hope you're having a nice day.

Unfortunately, there is no way to perform such sync on JIRA Cloud, however, there are some add-ons that can help you achieve this functionality.

I would recommend you to check the Automation for JIRA plugin. This add-on provides you with a set of automation rules that you can use to:

- Automatically create a linked issue in another project

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 15.16.13.png

- Automatically update the linked issue when the original issue is updated, by defining what kind of change was performed

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 15.14.13.png

Let me know if this option works for you! :)

Thanks Petterson! I was hoping there would be a way to do this without buying an app - I will keep this in mind though!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

You are welcome! Please, let me know if you decide to use the app to achieve your goals and face any questions about the instructions provided.

P.S: The Automation for JIRA have 300 free executions per month, so maybe it doesn't have any costs depending on how much work is developed by your team.

Have a nice day. :)

Yes - I'm not entirely sure what a rule execution means. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
March 14, 2019

Hello Sandrine,

A rule execution is counted every time the event which triggers your automation rule is fired to perform the actions you want.

In your case, it would be every time an issue is created or every time a specific issue detail is updated.

Let me know if this information is clear. :)

Ah okay - that's good to know, I wasn't sure if it was every 15 minutes when sync is run. 

Suggest an answer