Switching workflow scheme caused issues with board status. Can it be fixed?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

Hi.

We have a project that started 1.5 years ago with an old workflow.

I created a new workflow per issue type and I used it on a dummy project for testing.

Now I would like to use this new workflow on the existing project.

I finalised the Cloud Backup option, and currently I'm out of office hours, so it should be a good time to switch the workflow.

However, before I proceed, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend on some practices to perform before I switch to the new workflow?

This project has also new screens schemes and new field schemes per issue type, but I would like to start with the migration of the workflow first.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

Hello,

I have not done any preliminary tasks before switching a workflow. If some issues must be migrated to new statuses. then you will be asked to provide new statuses for such issues. That is all.

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

actually, I have encountered issues :(

"this status is not available in any of the workflows used by this board."

This is not true. These statuses are used in the new workflow.

Before the switch to the new scheme, I did map the issues to their new status.

Can I fix this?

image.png

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

You should map statuses in the board after you migrated to new workflow

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

This is not possible since Jira is asking to map to statuses available in the new workflow prior to initiating the migration.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

You said that you have problems with unmapped statuses in a board. You should first handle the migration of issues to the new workflow. And later you should map statuses to column in the board

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

How do you handle the migration of issues to the new workflow?

I thought that handling this is done when Jira is asking to map the old status to the new status of the workflow I'm migrating to.

Besides that, I'm not sure what else can be done aside from tweaking the project's JQL.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

Jira will map old statuses to new status for Jira issues. It will not change any filters or boards. You need handle them manually after migrating all issues to the new workflow

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

yes, that wasn't a given.

For the JQL:

project = project AND status not in (Rejected)AND (sprint in openSprints() OR sprint in futureSprints() OR sprint = EMPTY OR issuetype = Epic)

I had to remove: OR issuetype = Epic

I'm not sure why this is the case, but it seems to resolve most of it.

Suggest an answer