Swimlanes query to have an issue appear in two swim lanes (work around the rank order default)

Milena Agudelo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 20, 2023

Hi ya'll,

I want my swim lane to be based on assignee[Person #] and for each assignee to have all the tiles(issues) where they are the assignee and a copy of the tiles (issues) where they are the secondary assignee.

The query below work's for person 1 :-) but when I look at person 2 it doesn't show me the tiles that are already in person 1 swim lane. 

So, I am guessing this is how the rank on queries work it classifies the issues based on the first query and moves on to the second but only uses the remaining issues on that query not the full pool of issues. 

how can I adjust the query to say ("assignee(secondary)" = personID OR assignee = personID) And "all the issues where status is not done in all other queries". so that way the tile(issue) can be seen in up to 2 swim lanes at the same time and if anyone moves the issue to Done it doesn't show as to-do or InProgress for the other person.

Thank you for your help 

Screenshot 2023-09-20 162402.png
Screenshot 2023-09-20 160929.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2023

Hello @Milena Agudelo 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

On an agile board an issue can be displayed in only one swimlane, and it will be displayed in the first swimlane (from the top down) where it matches the criteria of the swimlane.

You simply cannot have an issue displayed in more than one swimlane on a board. At least, not with the native Jira swimlane functionality.

You might want to instead use Quick Filters to display for one person at a time the issues where they are the Primary or Secondary assignee.

Additionally, the Statuses for the issues are mapped to columns, and a Status can be mapped to only one column in a given board. If one of these people changes the Status of the issue to Done then the issue will display in the Done column regardless of the Swimlane settings. Swimlanes are a horizontal group that does not affect the column in which an issue displays.

Boards are just a method to view and manipulate issues. They use a filter to select which issues to display. The issues themselves are stored in Projects. Any change made to an issue in a board is made to the issue itself in its Project, and the changes are reflected everywhere that issue is viewed. Boards are not working against copies of issues.

Suggest an answer