Swimlane by related issues

Hila Dar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 29, 2019
Hi, we would like to create a swimlane showing the issues related to the story. It is not posssible using the swimlane queries. Any idea how can we do it or if there is a relevant add on that may help us? Thank you

5 answers

1 vote
Reka Ferencz July 25, 2019

Same query here, I'm using Stories and related Technical Stories. They are both a parent issue type. I would like to see The Story and linked Technical Story in a swimlane without having to manually create a JQL query every time we create a new user story. Any suggestions?

Pete Nathan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 6, 2021

Did you ever figure out how to create swimlanes that link Technical Stories to the User Story?

Reka Ferencz December 7, 2021

Sadly no.. It seems Jira isn't interested in expanding their features in this directions as there are add-ons that cater for this scenario. If this is something that you're in a position to consider, the add-ons are:

• Portfolio for Jira - allows you to create new levels of hierarchy so you can set up a child Technical Story issuetype and from that point it's simple enough to set up you swimlanes
  • Structure for Jira - lets you group tickets in any way you like and also allows you to slot them into a release roadmap (it doesn't "see" sprints though so is you're currently using backlog and sprint views that would be a major change on how you're using Jira)

Hope this helps, but if you find a better solution I'm still interested. The above add-ons are not used in my company and there is no apetite to throw bugdet at Jira unfortunately.

1 vote
Hila Dar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 29, 2019

No :( We use related tasks, not sub-task

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2019

you can use your won queries , what is the issue you are facing?

sdfsf.png

Thanks @[deleted] I am familiar with this. My issue is:

1. I don't want to create a custom query for every single user story as we are working in a scaled Agile environment with 5 sub teams working off one board. The number of user stories per sprint is large so is the possibility of making errors.

2. If I had to accept point 1 and create queries, I don't want to base those on labels that again carry the risk of human error as mistyping a number will just create a new label.

Ideally I'd like something like Epics, that enables me to create child stories from the parent story that inherit a unique parameter which can be then used to create a swimlane. I cannot use Epics as the business uses Epics for their own categorization of user stories. 

Am I missing something?

Like # people like this
Yves Basquet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 12, 2021

@Reka Ferencz , you are totally and absolutely right. It is a real shame that Jira doesn't support this.

18 months after your original post, have you been able to find a solution for that ?

Thx.

Yves

Like Peter Jones likes this
Peter Jones August 20, 2021

Another vote for this one. We really need a tool that supports our business need rather than having to adapt our business to the tool!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2019

I would either consider using Components or Labels and setup your queries accordingly.

Hi @Jack Brickey thanks for your reply. Just wondering how would labels make my life easier? I might be missing something here but from what I understand I would still need to:

1. Create a unique label for each Story

2. Manually add this unique label to both the story and related technical stories

3. Repeat this with every new story

4. Continually monitor that stories / tech stories are not left unlabelled and thus falling off the radar

5. Accept the risk that labels could have been mistyped resulting in technical tasks going to the wrong lane / falling off the radar

Is this the approach you're suggesting or is there any part of this that I could automate and eliminate some possibility of human error? 

Thanks,

Reka

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2019

correct. it would not make anything easier especially as you have captured it. I don't fully understand your process/requirements so was just offering something to contemplate. Here is what i was thinking (a lot of assumptions on your environment)

Let's assume you wish to group related tasks for each sprint in swimlanes. You could consider reusing labels which would allow you to maintain your swimlanes between sprints. Example...

Label 1 = "Tech Story A"

Label 2 = "Tech Story B"

Label 3 = "Tech Story C"

etc...

using swimlanes by queries...

labels = "Tech Story A" and resolution = unresolved

labels = "Tech Story B" and resolution = unresolved

labels = "Tech Story C" and resolution = unresolved

When planning a sprint you would link issues and add one of your "Tech story xxx" labels.

Again, i'm not saying it is a great solution and personally I would opt for using Epics probably but it is an idea to consider.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2019

So swimlanes by Stories doesn’t meet the need?

Suggest an answer