Same query here, I'm using Stories and related Technical Stories. They are both a parent issue type. I would like to see The Story and linked Technical Story in a swimlane without having to manually create a JQL query every time we create a new user story. Any suggestions?
Hi @Jack thanks for your reply. Just wondering how would labels make my life easier? I might be missing something here but from what I understand I would still need to:
1. Create a unique label for each Story
2. Manually add this unique label to both the story and related technical stories
3. Repeat this with every new story
4. Continually monitor that stories / tech stories are not left unlabelled and thus falling off the radar
5. Accept the risk that labels could have been mistyped resulting in technical tasks going to the wrong lane / falling off the radar
Is this the approach you're suggesting or is there any part of this that I could automate and eliminate some possibility of human error?
correct. it would not make anything easier especially as you have captured it. I don't fully understand your process/requirements so was just offering something to contemplate. Here is what i was thinking (a lot of assumptions on your environment)
Let's assume you wish to group related tasks for each sprint in swimlanes. You could consider reusing labels which would allow you to maintain your swimlanes between sprints. Example...
Label 1 = "Tech Story A"
Label 2 = "Tech Story B"
Label 3 = "Tech Story C"
using swimlanes by queries...
labels = "Tech Story A" and resolution = unresolved
labels = "Tech Story B" and resolution = unresolved
labels = "Tech Story C" and resolution = unresolved
When planning a sprint you would link issues and add one of your "Tech story xxx" labels.
Again, i'm not saying it is a great solution and personally I would opt for using Epics probably but it is an idea to consider.
Thanks @Muhammad Ramzan I am familiar with this. My issue is:
1. I don't want to create a custom query for every single user story as we are working in a scaled Agile environment with 5 sub teams working off one board. The number of user stories per sprint is large so is the possibility of making errors.
2. If I had to accept point 1 and create queries, I don't want to base those on labels that again carry the risk of human error as mistyping a number will just create a new label.
Ideally I'd like something like Epics, that enables me to create child stories from the parent story that inherit a unique parameter which can be then used to create a swimlane. I cannot use Epics as the business uses Epics for their own categorization of user stories.
Am I missing something?
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events