Support Inline Images in New issue Markdown

Peter Johnson October 30, 2019

I would imagine that it's rather common for companies to want be able to show inline images in the description of an issue. (using the NEW jira issue view).

Today, that can only be done if we upload the attachments into the jira issue. We are a company that takes security seriously - and allowing 3rd party companies (like Jira) the ability have their own data store of our images/attachments is not ideal for security. 

We (like many other companies) use a third party app for taking screenshots, where we can manage them. After taking a screenshot it auto uploads them to a URL which we can easily control. The ideal user behavior for us would be to:

1. observe a bug or issue that I want to screenshot/record

2. take a screenshot (using cloudapp) which then automatically creates the image URL of the image

3. go to jira, create a new issue and in the description type ![image](http://url.png) which would show the image inline. 

The new jira issue view already supports some markdown already so adding markdown inline image support would be very valuable. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hello Peter,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, we completely understand how practical and useful it would be if you had the functionality to embed external images inline the fields of JIRA issues.

That being said, we have created the following feature request to implement that ability:

Ability to embed external images using the New Editor 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can still use the URL of the images in order to keep compliant with your security policy.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer