Summary field

Operations Superviso Jira 2 May 28, 2014

Hi,

I would like to not show the field Summary as I don't need it for a project, but I have been searching and I have read that it is mandatory. Is there a way to hide it and populate with the value of another field?

This is for the ondemand version.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Operations Superviso Jira 2 June 1, 2014

Hi,

I use the Ondemand version but I don't want or need this field for a project. I reallly think that this field shouldn't be mandatory.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2014

As I already said, a lot of Jira really loses functionality and usability. Most users would disagree with you, there should always be a summary of some sort.

Operations Superviso Jira 2 June 1, 2014

Hi,

If the field was optional all user would be satisfied.
Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2014

But it breaks so much when you leave it blank.

In my experience, it's good that the summary is mandatory, it's simply too useful to neglect it.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2014

It is one of the few out of the box required fields. I don't believe you can hide it. Many people use it as a Title field. If you really want to you can rename it, although that makes all the documentation confusing for users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2014

It's actually the only required field out of the box, as far as the users are concerned (the others you could say are "required" are structural or automatically handled for you).

Some people have tried to code round it in the core code, which is hard and a nightmare to maintain (and absolutely cannot be done with OnDemand). The only succesful attempt I've run into lasted a week before they realised that a summary is one of the single most useful fields you've got, and humans really do make good use of it.

By all means, rename it. But it's a waste of effort trying to remove it, it's too embedded and too useful.

perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com August 2, 2017

Hello - 

Could you please explain how to rename the Summary field? I can't seem to figure it out. I am using JIRA Core via a server. Thanks in advance. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

My current instinct is to create a "translation" that gives it another name.

Thanks for the response.

I have been reading into editing translations, and am unsure exactly how that works. I don't have any JIRA files installed on my computer. So there's nothing I can open and manipulate. 

Regarding translations, is there anything I can change within my JIRA admin page? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

No, you need to amend the language files on the server, or create a translation file and upload it as an add-on.

Could you point me in the direction of amending the files on the server? Are they located somewhere in the System settings? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

No, they're bundled into a language pack - look in <jira install>/webapp/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins/ for .jar files with language names/ids in their name.

Suggest an answer