Summary field not required

Hi,

Using JIRA, I want to log work for non-development tasks (vacation, sick leave, training, etc).

I've created a new project named Administation.

I've created a new issue type named Administration Issue.

I've created a new custom field (select list) named Administration Issue Type (vacation, sick leave, training, etc)

I want the user to fill two fields:

1. the administration issue type (vacation, sick leave, training, etc), using the select list

2. Log Work (to set number of days/hours)

However, JIRA requires the summary field as well...

I don't need the summary for the specific project->issue type.

How do I cancel the field from being required?

Thanks.

Janiv.

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes

Ah, sorry, I don't think Dieter is right here.

Unless it's changed in version 5, Summary is one of the tiny handful of absolutely mandatory fields. (The others as far as the user is concerned are project and type, and some others spring into being because of that - created and updated, the issue key and the status, for example). You can't make it optional without doing quite a lot of work in the core code of Jira to make it so.

I've cheated when I needed to automate it - wrote some simple javascript that generated a simple obvious value for it if the users left it blank (think it was reporter + current date), and put something on the screen to explain to the users what was going in there.

Dieter Community Champion Feb 20, 2012
You are right Nic, i just assumed summary is handled like the other system fields description, due date, and so on ... And did not verify it :(
0 vote
Dieter Community Champion Feb 20, 2012
You have to create a project specific field configuration scheme and a field configuration. in the field configuration make the field summary optional and the other two fields "administration issue type" and "log work" required. Map the issue type "administration issue" to the field configuration in the field configuration scheme. Then assign the field configuration scheme to project "administration"

Hi Dieter and Nic,

I have the same problem and I finally decided taking it out from Screen Schemes so undesired displaying is not a problem for me now.

Unfortunately, the need of a value for this field keeps on being a problem.

How and where can I set that javascript code to set a default value as "." in Summary field?

Although I have deployed JIRA in some customer, I have always tried to avoid using code so I am a newbie in this specific subject.

Thank you.

Javier.

Dieter Community Champion Mar 16, 2012
hi Javier, in my respone https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19123/how-to-create-simple-templates-for-iterative-jira-issues i have explained how to prefill the description fiel. Should work equally for summary if you replace descrption by summary

Thank you, Dieter.

I have set some javascript in Summary field description but it did not work.

I was due to two main reasons:

- The field was not visible in the screens (thank you, Jobin, for your comments).

- The javascript code was set in the Default Field Configuration instead of being set in EACH Field Configuration that were involved in the issue.

Finally, everything went ok.

You can check it in: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/42427/i-am-unable-to-set-summary-field-default-value

Thank you for your support.

Javier.

0 vote

I've recently run into this myself. This is how I handled it.

I went to the field configuration for my project and then to the summary field. I clicked Edit. I then added the below code to the Description box. This will hide the summary row and then fill it with a value.

<script type="text/javascript">
function addZero(num) {
return (num >= 0 && num < 10) ? "0" + num : num + "";
}

if(AJS.$('#summary').length > 0) {
AJS.$('#summary').parent().addClass('hidden');
AJS.$('#summary').val('My value here');
}
</script>

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,209 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot