Summary Field Not Required

Preston Warden February 29, 2020

I have tried multiple different codes to make the Summary Field Not Required or at least filled in by another field. I am trying to create a project that is more easily completed by my teams, but I cannot get the summary field to go away. I have tried different scripts, with no luck. Here is what I have any assistance is great!

2020-02-29 09_26_40-Edit Field Layout Item - Jira.png

1 answer

4 votes
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2020

Hiii @Preston Warden 

Summary is required field and you cant leave it empty and create an issue. So you can set a default value for summary and then use project automation for copy a value another field to the summary field.

Preston Warden February 29, 2020

How would I do this? I haven't programmed in JIRA before.

Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2020

Hii @Preston Warden  

If you want to do this just for a project at first you must make a new field configuration and give it to your favorite project(go to upright side of your screen click on cog ...> issues ...> field configuration schemes ... > copy from default and then name if to want you to want. And again go to upright side of your screen click on cog ...> issues ...> field configurations  ... > copy from one of the filed configurations and edit it the field summary and edit it then in description input the following script

<script type="text/javascript">
if (document.getElementById("summary").value == "") {
document.getElementById("summary").value = "<Default Value for Summary>\n";}
</script>

* Replace <Default Value for Summary> with the desired default value for the Issue Summary field* and then you can hide the summary field from your favorite screen. Then go to your favorite field configuration schemes and add your new field configuration to that and go to setting of your favorite project and then click on fields (on the left side of your screen)  On the action button click and choose "use a different scheme" (the new field configuration schemes that you made). If you use one of these add-ons Workflow Powerbox or Jira Misc Workflow Extensions or Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA or Automation for Jira you can copy the value of your favorite field to the summary. If you use i tell what to do?

Like # people like this
Preston Warden March 2, 2020

Does this only work for the server version? 

Like Daniel Brvnišťan likes this
Daniel Brvnišťan November 18, 2020

It really seems to be solution for Server only as it requires custom JS:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-set-default-value-for-summary-field-in-jira-800692650.html 

It can then be changed various ways using scripts in workflow transitions, project automation, or by the team that processes the tickets etc.

I have made a feature request for the default to be configurable in project settings, without having to code:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75592

I would appreciate if you could vote for it if that would be a solution for you.

Thanks,
Daniel

Suggest an answer