Sum up log work to a epic based on the issues that are linked to a epic

I have 9issues attached to a epic, and I have logged the work for each issue and I see that it didn't automatically sum up to the epic. Can you please help me understand how exactly does the logging time work for an epic.

I see that in the backlog I can't estimate time for an epic , I want to see in total how much time did I spend on one epic in total which has multiple issues linked to it.

Well I am using tempo here to log work

2 answers

If you are using Tempo, you could use the Timesheet Report. Build a JQL filter to fetch all the issues related to your epic ("Epic Link" = [key of your Epic]). Save the filter and use it as the source for your Timesheet Report.

This approach might be slightly unpractical, as it will require you to leave the context of your Epic. Other add-ons like Epic Sum Up and Structure can help you visualise this information much more easily and in the context of you issue itself.

are your issues = Story ? or issues = Tasks? The structure of Epic is following

Epic/Story/Task/Sub Task

Once you create Epic, then click Create Issue in Epic link and create Story, then beneath create Task etc. You can log the time using standard Log Time functionality for Story, Task and as long as the structure is ok you will start seeing the overal time estimates/time logged. 

You can estimate time for Epic but not directly. In Scrum Epic is umbrella, big placeholder for bigger piece of functionality, in order to deliver Epic you need to deliver Stories/Task and these are the one to estimate

See here my epics are not estimated - it is Stories and Tasks which are estimated and then JIRA summarized them and displayed what is overal time estimates given to deliver Epic. 

Tempo or standard JIRA Log time functionality is ok, but you need to get the Scrum structure right firstly. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.36.56.png

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

408 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you