Suggestions for Organizing Project/Board Workflows across multiple teams, multiple projects

Will Meier August 3, 2018

I'm new to Jira, acting as the Jira administrator for my company -- an ad agency. I've seen questions similar to this one, but really want to address our specific use case since this stuff is so complicated and get specific suggestions from the community.

Basically, the way we want to set things up is to make a boilerplate project that we can clone over and over for every new client project and adjust details of configurations each time:

• We want each Project to be literally that -- a project, a client website, using the Scrum board format
  • We want to have separate boards within each project for each 'phase':
    • Planning
    • Preliminary Content
    • Design
      • Phase I - Direction
      • Phase II - Execution
    • Development
      • Phase I - Architecture
      • Phase II - Buildout
    • Testing
    • Release
  • These different boards will have overlapping sprints, and overlapping user group visibility settings
    • most importantly, each of these boards needs to have a very specific (and very different from the rest) workflow associated with the way their issues are handled and resolved
  • Some issues (and issue types) will exist only within one 'phase' board, others we want to transition to another board upon resolution (it's fine if this just means using some sort of post-function that creates a new issue on another board)
    • i.e. we want to treat sections/pages of a site as epics, which would flow from design to dev to testing boards
    • whereas, we want to simply trigger a notification to the design team once all epics from the 'preliminary content' phase have been approved by the boss and client
  • We have many projects going on all at the same time, moving at different speeds in different phases of their lifecycle, so keeping those organized is important

So, my question: largely, this is not the way I am seeing that people are configuring their project architecture (seems like 'projects' are usually dedicated to 'teams').

• Is what I am describing even possible within Jira's constraints?
    • If so, are there any particularly helpful resources or tips/tricks/suggestions you can provide?
  • If not, how might we best organize the architecture of so many layers of co-interactions, how can I reframe the way I am thinking about using this tool, and again, do you have any resources (Jira's docs are very, very reductive when it comes to this level of complexity).

Thank you so much wise people of the internet!

0 answers

Suggest an answer