Subtasks on Board in Next-Gen project

Viktor Hot February 10, 2020

Hi,

How can I see subtasks on the board?

Grouping by subtasks does not suit me. I want to see all tasks and subtasks in one common list.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

Hi Viktor,

In next-gen projects, the only way currently to see sub-tasks on a board is to use the group by function.  I understand this method of view sub-tasks is undesirable in your use case.  Viewing sub-tasks on a next-gen board is rather limited in this regard.  These issues do not operate like other issue types in next-gen boards in this sense. 

There is an existing feature request for sub-tasks to have the same visibility on a board in a next-gen project over in JSWCLOUD-18064 - ability to view sub-task in next gen board.  I would recommend voting and watching this issue to help our team understand the impact this has on you and to be aware of any changes that might be implemented in regards to this in the future.

In the meantime, you can either migrate your next-gen issues to a classic project or create a new Classic board to handle your next-gen issues.  However, this second approach can cause some reports and features not to work as expected.

Sorry there is not a better solution at this time.  Please let me know if this information helps.

Andy

Filip Ivančić April 16, 2020

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

Just to clarify: It is not possible to set subtasks on Boards as it is in traditional Jira boards (per screenshot)?

Thanks

FilipScreen Shot 2020-04-16 at 4.56.08 PM.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2020

No you cannot configure next-gen boards to look exactly like your screenshot.  For example, the next-gen boards don't have the ability to configure the elements on the card.  Your screenshot has the issue type icon, priority, estimate, assignee avatar, and presumable the description (none).  Next-gen boards currently don't let you configure what elements appear on them at all, like classic boards do.

Next-gen boards can show you subtasks on a board, but they don't contain those specific elements on their cards. 

Even my previous answer of 2 months ago needs an update now. As an update, within the last 2 weeks or so, next-gen boards now allow end users to group by subtasks without requiring that a board admin configure the board that way.  Previously board admins controlled the group by for all users of that board.

Filip Ivančić April 17, 2020

@Andy Heinzer 

OK, that doesn't help as we have tasks with and without subtasks.

Jacoby Hickerson August 5, 2020

Any updates on this?  I see the main issue has no one assigned to it, does that mean it is not in the pipeline for implementation?

Nihad Delić February 10, 2021

For me this is one of core features to use JIRA at all

Like Jordan Amdahl likes this

Suggest an answer