It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Subtasks in Next-Gen project?

Viewing page 2 of 3

53 answers

1 accepted

can someone from AtlaSSian (jira)  employees check on the Trello app they are using the road map for this featuer , i am sure now that you are not using jira for development .???!!!  because no answers ??!!!

If someone does not need the full set of rich attributes that come with Jira sub-tasks like Description, Comments, Labels, etc. then the list of lightweight ToDo items (with checkboxes) attached to the issue might be a decent workaround. 

Issue Checklist Pro, the paid app, or its free sibling Issue Checklist Free, provided by my team and presented in the screenshot below adds the checklist panel to the issue page and works in the next-gen projects.

It gives a simple user mention functionality (no notifications yet), due dates, completion progress bar, automation support, default checklist concept, templates and more. 

The full set of features it provides is described in the documentation.

image-3.png

I hope it helps. However, I wait for next-get subtasks and other improvements impatiently too :)

Cheers,
Jack

It should be noted that this is not a free solution.

Thank @Craig Patchett. I have updated the answer to reflect that. 

I gave up waiting and converted my next-gen project to classic. It was a PITA (has to be done manually) but at least now I have something usable.

yes. Me too, today. Unbelievable, that I have invested a lot of time to build up in this project. Jira, please wake up!!!

Yeah I just converted my one "next-gen" project back. Only thing next-gen gave me that I liked was the Roadmap. Otherwise its feature set was too anemic to keep using.

We use sub-tasks to track time as our team measures both the sprint time scope parameters.
Therefore I see little that is useful in next-gen without subtasks.

That said, I'm aware that many teams use Jira in an unstructured free and frankly terribly ineffective way. So I can see how most would get by without sub-tasks as it would not change the mess they are in.

However, sub-tasks,  data/performance measurement, and display of these are core differentiation for Jira. So without sub tasks I might as well switch to Asana...

I hope that 'next-gen' will not become 'current' until it is on par with the existing Jira.

1 vote
Julien Femia Atlassian Team May 02, 2019

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a little update about how the subtasks rollout is going.

We have released the feature to all customers that have reached out to Eoin or myself directly this week. We are monitoring this subset of customers, and the good news is that everything seems to be going well. We will regroup on Monday (May 6th) and probably open up the feature to more people.

As I said previously, send me an email (jfemia[at]atlassian.com) with your hostname (xx.atlassian.net) in the body and "Next-gen subtasks" in the title if you really want to be part of the early cohorts using subtasks :)

Once again, thanks a lot for your patience!

Any update?

1 vote

+1  for subtask

Next-Gen projects are pretty easier and friendly to use, but we really need subtasks!!!

+1

Like Aaron Thomas likes this

+1 we need subtast feature please

I gave up on Jira and moved to Clubhouse.io - created by developers fed up with the complexity of Jira.

Like Galina Tiurikova likes this

Still waiting for this.

Look, I know I was critical of Atlassian back near the start of this thread. But aren't we all software developers? Aren't our clients saying the same to us.

We don't HAVE to be using next-gen. It's not like there is no alternative.

I want what I am sure Atlassian is doing. Getting it right before they release it.

So let's all be patient.

0 votes

+1

0 votes

Me to eagerly waiting for the subtast feature in next-gen project.

0 votes

+100500

I think before introducing such breaking change there should have been an excercise conducted by Atlassian to take opinion of customers either though poll/online forms.

You are encouraging customers to move to next gen project which you are marketing to be something brilliant but then again adding features which are removed without end user consent.

0 votes

I still can beleive they don't have subtasks in next gen projects. Even though its first in the list they have not implement it yet!!!!

Subtasks are a stopper for us to switch to NextGen also.

Would be really nice to get some kind of estimate.

Thanks

I gave up on Jira and moved to Clubhouse.io - created by developers fed up with the complexity of Jira 

0 votes

Is there an updated ETA for sub-tasks on a next gen board? we're having difficulties without them.

Hey whats up with Jira new generation project sub tasks? I thought it takes only few weeks. If no, why you publish such kind of unfinished feature? Please update us about the subtasks. When is it finished?

Please add subtask !!!!

why have you posted that sub tasks for next-gen jira are working? your link contains complaints about it not existing, i can't see a solution 

CLICK BAIT ALERT! :)

Have you tried the link? It refers to the statement of Atlassian employee. 

Capture.PNG

Hi, I had a hunt around and found the subtasks as follows:

If you are on your project page and go to "Project Settings" and then in the left hand column select "issue types", then in the same column you can "add issue type" at which point you select to "add Subtask". THEN, if you go to a regular issue in your project you will see a new icon that looks like a small tree hierarchy - when you hover the mouse over the explanation the text "add a child issue" appears - that is the sub task feature for next-gen jira.

Hi, when i 'add issue type' I didn't see 'add subtask' yet. Do I need to 'create issue type'? 

OK, if you do not see 'add subtask' if may mean I only see it because I asked to join the beta programme for seeing this feature and it is not yet released to all. My apologies. However, you can follow these instructions to have subtasks enabled earlier for your good self: 

"For those of you that would like to be part of the first cohort of instances that we enable subtasks on; can you send an email to jfemia@atlassian.com with your hostname (e.g. xx.atlassian.net) in the body and with "Next-gen Subtasks" as the subject? I will subsequently reply to your email at the point we turn on the feature flag for your instance."

Like Doris Han likes this

Thank you Ian. I shall try this first! 

Appreciate! 

+1

Our team is also waiting for this.

In the JIRA PLATFORM section of  https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2019/04/atlassian-cloud-changes-apr-22-to-apr-29-2019 I see :

Create and customize subtasks in your next-gen project

Need to get a bit more granular with how you track your work? Add a subtask issue type to your next-gen project and track the small tasks that help you break up and complete bigger pieces of work. Go to Project settings > Issue types and click + Add issue type to try it out.

Is it live ? I can not do this in my next-gen projects :-/

Read the comments above yours

Like Guillaume Simon likes this
Like Lukáš Brchl likes this

Thank you Atlassion for the sub task feature.

Is there a solution for sub sub tasks?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

We want to hear from you! How do you use Slack and Atlassian together?

Hi Everyone! My name is Mina and I am on Atlassian’s Ecosystems Marketing team. Our team is focused on our technology partnerships and marketplace apps. One of Atlassian’s partners is Slack, who ...

26 views 0 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you