Subtasks counting towards total issue count

Ian Leeder August 8, 2012

First up this is a development environment, so there are no issues with losing data.

I've got JIRA set up as a customer helpdesk tool, so each JIRA issue represents a customer issue. I've also configured some subtasks to represent internal actions to be carried out (specific workflows). As an example the customer reports a fault with their system. After investigation I find they have some faulty hardware, so I create a subtask to track the hardware repair process.

Currently JIRA is counting all issues AND subtasks towards the total issue count, and is using this number for all reporting. So in the example above Jira now says this customer has reported two issues, even though they only had a single problem.

I could probably modify any reports I am using to filter out subtasks, but that's a fairly clumsy workaround and severly limits users being able to generate their own reports. Also I'm sure Jira reports totals in places I can't modify/remove. Ideally I'd like to change this behaviour across the entire JIRA instance.

I've looked at the Advanced JIRA Configuration documentation, and particularly at the jpm.xml file, hoping to find a boolean switch somewhere to alter this behaviour, but with no luck. Is there a way to modify this behaviour? Or any other suggestions, short of removing sub-tasks? I do have other uses for them as well, above is only one of the scenarios I am using subtasks.

Regards,

Ian

1 answer

0 votes
tylwright June 13, 2016

I would like this too!  We create sub-tasks to divide a ticket into steps and I would prefer if it didn't count against the total number of open tickets.

Suggest an answer