Subtask in Excel Export

Admin OKZT April 2, 2024

Hello,

we need a weekly report for one of our projects. 

For that we created a filter that we export to excel. 

The problem is, that we also need the subtask and just doesn't work. We can export them but they are all over the place. It isn't really obvious to which task the belong. 

Is there a way to export them so that they are right under the task the belong to?

Something like that:

Task

Subtask 1

Subtask 2

Task

Subtask 1

Subtask 2.

Cheers 

Jenny

5 answers

1 vote
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

Hi @Admin OKZT 

Export via standard jira feature will work like you described - tickets without any order.

I think this is impossible without additional app.

Regards,

Seba

0 votes
Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2024

Hi Jenny,

Excel doesn't deal with nested data that you export from Jira in a particularly sophisticated way. As other people noted, there are Jira-specific solutions for getting your Jira data in a nested Table View format. Visor is one such app (and it's free upto 250 records): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226209/visor-flexible-spreadsheet-for-jira-roadmapping-bulk-edits?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

On top of offering a spreadsheet/Table view, you can also visualize your data in Gantts, Timeline charts, and Board Views -- all with your nested Jira data in tact. Very easy to share externally, too.

TableView.png

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 2, 2024

Hi @Admin OKZT

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you may want to have a look at the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting. If you want to view your issues in their default issue hierarchy (like task/sub-task), you can do so in just one click, like so:

export-hierarchy-v2.gif

As you can see above, you can easily export your issues to Excel in just another 2 clicks. This export will maintain the order of issues that you see in your sheet, i.e., list sub-tasks below their parents.

Any questions just let me now,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2024

Hi @Admin OKZT 

If you would be interested in an add-on to view your entire issue hierarchy in a CSV format, you can try out our plugin

Issue Hierarchy 

The app also provides sum up at each level for time estimates and story points.

(Disclaimer: I work on RVS, the vendor for this app)

Epic Hierarchy-Excel.PNG

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

By using the Better Excel Exporter instead of the built-in CSV export, you can get the output sorted this way.

Just open a support ticket and we are happy to guide you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events