Submitting old periods in TEMPO [Andy's Dumbass Question Of The Day]

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

Community ! 

Why oh why can I not submit my previous periods. What on earth am I doing wrong? Why can I only submit the current plus two previous?

[ps: Cloud version!]

UNtitled.jpg

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

Hi Andy,

You can not submit a previous period, but your Approver can do so in the Approval report for the team that you are a member of (https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TEMPO/pages/187695110/To+submit+timesheets+for+your+team).

Regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

Thanks @Susanne Götz _Tempo_! That's great... so basically, if a period is open and older than 3 weeks, it needs to go via Approver? Did I understand the Confluence page correctly?

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

Yes, you are correct.
Older than 3 weeks when you are using approvals weekly and 3 month when the approval period is set to monthly.

Like Jessica Frost likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

DOUBLE THUMBS UP ! Thanks @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ ! !

Mikhail Klassen May 5, 2019

This is a very annoying feature. Please make the number of open periods customizable. I want to be able to submit weekly periods up to 5 weeks back.

Like # people like this
Derek White February 2, 2020

Or even older! If it hasn't been submitted, why stop it from being submitted? This is a horrible omission of a useful feature.

Like # people like this
katerina_zelenkova June 29, 2020

@Susanne Götz _Tempo_ Can I ask you, is this behavior same at server version?

Best,

Kateřina.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/spaces/TEMPO/pages/172785889/Period+management

Please have a look at this. It might help expalin this behaviour.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

At first glance definitely an acceptable answer! Epic. Thanks @Danyal Iqbal. Gonna deep dive on it tonight.

0 votes
katerina_zelenkova June 29, 2020

@Susanne Götz Can I ask you, is this behavior same at server version?

Best,

Kateřina.

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2020

Hi @katerina_zelenkova 

The behavior on Server is different.

In Tempo Timesheets 10.1.0, the option to load more periods has been introduced. By default, the last 3 approval periods are shown in the dropdown, but by using the "show more" option, additional periods can be loaded. 

Team leads/ Approvers can submit Timesheets for their team members via the Approval report, similar as on Cloud. 

For more information, please take a look at https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/THC/pages/293863680/Submitting+Timesheets+for+Approval+-+Tempo+Server

Best regards,
Susanne

0 votes
Michel de Leeuw December 2, 2019

How was this resolved?

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2019

Hi @Michel de Leeuw

Users can not submit a timesheet more than the current and 2 periods back, but their team lead can do it for them.

It needs to be done in the Approval report of the team and can be done by Team lead or a user that has the "Approve Timesheet" permission for the team that the user who needs to submit an old timesheet is a member of.

To do this, go to Tempo, Teams and select the Team that the user is a member of. Use the "Approvals" link to access the Approvals report and navigate to the period that needs to be submitted ( see also https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/THC/pages/296648995/Approving+and+Rejecting+Your+Team+s+Timesheets+-+Tempo+Server).

Regards,
Susanne

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2019

@Michel de Leeuw 
Susanne has you covered on the process in Tempo, but I thought you might like to know what we did on the Governance side of things for full resolution:

1) We updated our compliance. It is now mandatory for teams to submit work hours on a Friday afternoon at 17h00
2) Team Leads have to review and approve the logs by 11h00 on Monday
3) PMs are now the full Admins of the system. When we work on our weekly reports on Mondays and we see incorrect data we can go in and fix it.
3b) Or complain at repeat offenders, reopen their log and they have to do it all over again!!

Note - you must have the relevant permissions to be able to do everything recommendation on this topic!

Michel de Leeuw December 2, 2019

Thanks for sharing @Andy - PTC Redundant !

We indeed have the same envisioned, but are currently in the pilot phase with a few teams and found out they couldn't submit on a weekly basis for the past month. This should then only be an issue during our phased implementation and not a problem normally if we enforce correct governance as you rightfully suggest.

The manual work-around as mentioned by Susanne will be part of our instructions during our phased go-live as we onboard teams through-out the months.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2019

Nice to hear. Good luck with it! 🍀🌠🤞

(I find that submitting is only half the challenge... now i am trying to get everyone to submit the right amount of time on the right issue... hehe!! #AdminLife) 😉

Suggest an answer