Submitting Issues via email

Luis Leon July 14, 2011

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how do I submit issues (or ticket) via email and also can I submit it to a particular projects? Thank you all.

3 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2011

Atlassian's documentation is organized and well-written...

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

3 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2011

There are a number of email handlers of varying complexity from Atlassian and third parties. If you want to simply accept plain text emails as new issues use the Atlassian pop3 service with the "create issue or comment" handler. You need one mailbox/handle pair per project that creates issues. You get very raw issues, eg, no issue type, prioroty, components, that need to be assessed and cleaned up on arrival. You need to consider if and how your system handles new users.

Another alternative would be to have all incoming emailed issues arrive in a single triage project where they are cleaned up, rated and moved to real projects.

FWIW I looked at this and chose to only allow comments by email. The issue id in the email subject places it into the correct issue. We use the Regex Comment Handler which allows a few tricks to cut email history and signatures from the comments. Limited in scope but reliable.

There are third party email plugin that allow all fields to be passed in the email, and smarter actions, but you need a more sophisticated user or a sending system. In this last case, you might as well use Jira issue crreation page.

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2011

True enough but if you want to support arbitrary numbers of projects, say by using the adressee as a match against a project key, it can save an awful lot of accounts, and an awful lot of pop traffic. If a single project works for you, and you have time to triage them to the right project, then the stock handlers will likley satisfy your need, otherwise, perhaps something like JEMH - https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JIRA+Extendable+Mail+Handler would work. A virtual mailbox is a prerequisite for this, which is covered in the doco.

Suggest an answer