Sub-tasks on the Active Sprint Board

JD Lobue September 4, 2018

I have sub-tasks showing up on my active sprint board for only one of my stories. The others are not showing up. I can't see anything different between the stories. Help?

6 answers

0 votes
Lilly Mannerswood October 18, 2021

Hey @Aprajita Badola How I do this is amend the filter query on your board to Epic parent links and it works. Example is here...

(project = TEST) AND issuetype != Epic AND (parentEpic in (TE-112) OR parentEpic in (TE-710)) ORDER BY key ASC

Lilly Mannerswood October 18, 2021

This pulls stories and sub-tasks associated to that epic in a single query

Aprajita Badola October 19, 2021

@Lilly Mannerswood thank you for your suggestion.. but ParentEpic field is blocked in our organization... don't know why... But i have came across a random solution to create a common link in epic and subtask and then add this field in filter query,,,

0 votes
Aprajita Badola August 13, 2021

Sub tasks were not showing because of quick filters in active sprint screen

I added  "Epic Link" is EMPTY in quick filters and  but it's showing all the epic where link is empty..  Is it possible to create filter where epic link ="ABC" and issuetype ="Bug" and its subtask

0 votes
Awan i February 10, 2020

I found a workaround by re-assigning the main issue (Task, Bug, User Story) to someone else, then assign back to the original assignee. 

0 votes
JD Lobue October 30, 2019

Any update on this Christian?
Here is my filter for the board

project = XX AND issuetype in (Epic, Story, Bug) AND (status != Done OR status = Done AND resolutiondate > -7d) AND assignee in (membersOf(GROUP), EMPTY) AND labels = YY ORDER BY Rank ASC

Any help you have would be great. All sub-tasks have the labels set as YY. Still don't see any sub-tasks under stories on sprint board

Lee-Ann COSTA January 27, 2020

I'm having the same issue.  I can see in your board filter, "sub-task" is not listed in your "issuetype"  

"...issuetype in (Epic, Story, Bug) .."

I've tried adding that, but i think my issue is relating the sub-task to the Epic Filter I included. If you do get it working, would appreciate knowing how you wrote the filter!

Sara January 31, 2020

I have solved this issue of not seeing the subtask by including a label on the filter that then it is assigned to all items I want to see in it.

So ll bugs, stories tasks and sub-tasks will have this label. Board 1 filter:

project = RB AND labels = Re-Skin ORDER BY Rank ASC

I have two boards, I do not want ticket from board 1 to show on board 2.

Board 2 filter: (excluded label required on board 1)

project = RB AND (labels != Re-Skin OR labels is EMPTY) AND (labels != Genever OR labels is EMPTY) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Like Lee-Ann COSTA likes this
Lee-Ann COSTA January 31, 2020

Thank you!!!

Like Sara likes this
Sara January 31, 2020

Forgot to mention that the label is EMPTY is what  what I made my  filter behave as I wanted. Not 100% sure why yet!

(labels != Re-Skin OR labels is EMPTY)

0 votes
Menaka May 3, 2019

I have the same issue , the subtasks are visible under task on Active Boards on few projects but is not seen on the other projects even though they are all mapped from the same schema when the boards were created .

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi @JD Lobue

Check the filter of your board (Board -> Config -> General and read the filter). Also, it could be that the statuses of your subtasks are not all mapped in your board columns.

JD Lobue September 6, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

The board filter would not explain why one story has sub-tasks showing and others not.

Statuses of sub-tasks are all mapped on board columns.

Any other thoughts? I should mention, I'm using JiraCloud.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2018

The board filter would not explain why one story has sub-tasks showing and others not.

Of course it does, it depends on the filter. Check if the filter has the same results as the board.

I can't think of anything else right now... I guess that this is not a problem of permissions or Issue security, isn't it? An user without browse project permission in which the issue is allocated won't allow him to see it, and the same with Issue Security scheme.

Let's analyze deeper.

1. Who can't see this issues? All users? Some users? Are the users of the same group/role?
  2. When did this start to happen?
  3. Are you using any add-on that could be interacting with this project?
  4. What kind of board are you using? An agile board?
  5. Quick filters are not the cause of this?

Can't think in anything else right now

JD Lobue September 6, 2018
  1. Who can't see this issues? All users? Some users? Are the users of the same group/role?

On the same active sprint board, I have stories with sub-tasks that are showing up for one story, and not showing up for others in the same view for the same user. Not a role, user issue

1. When did this start to happen?

About 2 sprints ago (1 month)

1. Are you using any add-on that could be interacting with this project?

Yes, many

1. What kind of board are you using? An agile board?

Sprint Board

1. Quick filters are not the cause of this?

No

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2018

On the same active sprint board, I have stories with sub-tasks that are showing up for one story, and not showing up for others in the same view for the same user. Not a role, user issue

The user can see this issues out of the board? Is it only a user who can'tt see it or does it affect many users with the same subtasks not showing in the board?

Also, please check the results of the filter and compare them to the board results. A filter like issue type = XXX OR issue type = "Subtask" could now be showing a result of a subtask with an issue type with a different name (just a made up example)

I'll check in one of my test intance if I can think on anything else this weekend, I'm in Barcelona at the Atlas Camp right now and can't test!!

Bill O'Keede March 4, 2019

I have the same problem, except I see sub-tasks for two stories, but not another.  I don't see any significant difference between the stories, so unclear why I don't see them for the third story.

Aprajita Badola August 12, 2021

hi.. did anyone got solution for this??? I am also facing this problem

Suggest an answer