Sub tasks in Microservice structured projects.

Ido Flaishon July 14, 2021

I have a problem defining the ways of working in JIRA with my team. The issue is coming because of three points: agile practice, microservice structured JIRA projects, the function of a sub task. I would love to hear ideas how to deal with the situation.

Agile practice - Story is a vertical slice

It's the normal idea that a story should be a vertical slice. I expect a Story to be deliverable, an create value. Technical implementation should be sub tasks of the story. So if to delivery a feature I need to touch the Front-end and 3 services, I might have 4 sub-tasks attached to the story.

Sub tasks 

Sub tasks according to my understanding are always a part of the main issue, and are tightly connected to a certain project. You cannot have an issue with sub tasks from different projects.

Microservice structured projects

My team is working in microservice architecture, and opened a separate JIRA project for each service.

THE PROBLEM

I want to have a stories with sub tasks, but I can't since the sub tasks should be a part of different projects, each touching a different service and therefore a different JIRA project.

I know I can use Epics for this case, but for my understanding, epics for a larger scale issues, that might have multiple independent deliverables.

I can also link the issues and use dependencies, but then it's hard to visibly present on a board that all of these issue belong to a single User Story.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

This is the crux of the problem:

" I can't since the sub tasks should be a part of different projects, each touching a different service and therefore a different JIRA project."

You need to decide if these issues are sub-tasks or not.  If they really are a part of a bigger issue, then your projects are set up incorrectly.  If they are dependencies, rather than part of the issue, then you should stop trying to think of them as sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events