Sub-task does not correctly inherit the security level of a parent Edited

We are busy adjusting our Jira instance to allow customers to use it to view their tickets (it is currently internal only). We have set up security levels - e.g. I have "internal" security level and a "customer X" security level defined in a security scheme.  In the "customer X" sec level,  acess is granted to "Customer X Group".  I then create a user and add them to the Customer X Group. I then create an issue, set the security level to "internal" and create a subtask.  *

If I assume the identity of a "Customer X" user and go to the dashboard, I immediately  see subtasks from "internal" sec level tasks. I am able to open them and view all details. However, if I click the parent task, I get an error saying access denied - so it seems the sec level is preventing me from accessing the task, but allowing access to the sub-task. How can I ensure that sub-tasks inherit the security of their parents?

* Note: The specific task and sub-task may have been created prior to setting up security levels / schemes.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

As I was asking, I realized that tasks and sub-tasks were created prior to implementing security levels and once they were introduced the sub-tasks did not inherit.

As such, I can manually enforce the inheritance by changing the sec level of parent to none and back to "internal". This propogates to children.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

115 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you