It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sub-Tasks on backlog

How can I show sub-tasks on the backlog view? 

I have a design team who get tasks on a dev user story for the design. I have setup the board so that anything labelled with design shows on their board and backlog, however  they are not seeing this on their board, it is only the sub-task labelled but I can't get subtasks to show in this view. 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

You will need to find a field that displays the sub-tasks as part of their parent issue.

Sub-tasks are normally not displayed on a backlog view, because they're totally irrelevant there.  It's nonsense to try to rank them or put them into a sprint outside their parent, so even if you do show them in a backlog, there's nothing you can usefully do with them.

Thank you Nic. I tend to agree with you, and its good to get the same answer from the community, it just confirms what I was telling them to start with. 

Just not sure how to deal with design tasks though. Do they get logged as their own stories in their own backlog and once done a story is logged for dev? The devs have specified that they will not accept a story into the sprint without the design completed? 

Any other ideas are welcome :D

That sounds like design tasks are done outside the developers sprint.  You could do them as sub-tasks, with the designers working on them outside the dev sprint and the devs ignoring them until that sub-task is closed.  Or separate them completely, having their own issue type or even project, then your developers could ignore any story that does not have a link to a closed design task.

I don't agree that it is nonsense to put a sub-task into a sprint outside of their parent. Similar to Casey-Lea's situation, our focus is on design sub-tasks. Design is intimately linked to the corresponding story so it is right that it is expressed as a sub-task. To separate it out would be unnecessarily complex. 

At the same time, the design needs to take place at least one sprint ahead of the work on the parent Story. So subtasks in backlogs/sprints (would) serve two purposes - they highlight which stories in the backlog have yet to be designed, and they reserve a place in the sprint in which they are completed.

Is it really the case that subtasks can be displayed indented in this manner? And if not, what was the configuration (that I have a vague memory of) that allowed handling of subtasks in exactly this manner? 

Like # people like this

Anothe case using sub-tasks on backlog is connected with quick filters. For instance I have a dev team and a filter for each assignee. I have a couple of planning sprints. Any developer can be assign to either task or sub-task issue. Filterring issues by assignee I see tasks only and this is wrong picture. Moreover a developer filtering his issues will see only tasks or even nothing. All his assignments to subtasks will be hidden
I'm not talking about neither separate subtask ranking nor adding subtask into sprint without parent task. Just only about participating in filter result

Like # people like this

I totally agree with alexey. Please make it possible to view the sub-tasks in the product backlog. This wil make Jira more usefull for projectteams.

Like # people like this

I have had the same request from my engineers.  When they are in the backlog view they want to see ALL their issues, stories and subtasks. 

Like # people like this

To say that subtask are irrelevant to the backlog view is draconian and not even true.  They are relevant, even if not necessarily part of the formal scrum process.

A user story requires work from Designer/Web/iOS/Android/Backend/Other microservice owners etc until it's completed.  User stories are full stack.

It is entirely possible that a user story will not be completed within a sprint, but subtasks of that story can be moved into the sprint whilst other subtasks are not.

Happy with the idea that if a sub task is being worked, so is the user story, and therefore the user story is in the sprint.  BUT that doesn't mean that all the subtasks are being committed to in that sprint.  So when doing planning, I think it makes sense to be able to see and drag a subtask into the sprint, the user story gets moved into the sprint along with it, but the other subtasks are not.  

Epics are broken down into smaller achievable stories, that's understood, but from a project perspective you may not want to use them like this. As usually, epics come first, then smaller user stories, and then subtasks.  

This may not be formal SCRUM practice, but it's the reality for any large organisation and not allowing for it is way too prescriptive.

Like Felipe Morales likes this

@lisa  is this something you can help? I did find you answering something similar in the forum

Hi,

I think I found a way to filter in backlog view  according to sub-task assignee, I've used:  or issueFunction in parentsOf("assignee = IRINA") and saw dev stories in backlog view where IRINA is an assignee of a sub-task and not necessarily assignee of the dev story

0 votes

Hello all!! :D 

A possibility better solution is to simply added the JQL similar to

"Epic Link" in (XXXX-0001, EMPTY)

Sub-tasks do not have an Epic links.....but neither do epics!

This works in my Kanban and Scrum boards showing the Parent User Story and Sub-tasks !

Hope this helps ^_^

@Lou Z 

can you please explain on how to implement the above JQL ?

thanks

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

247 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you