Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Sub-Tasks listed in Issues without Epics when Parent task/story has an Epic Link

All of a sudden, at least not due to a reason I could find, some of my sub-tasks are showing up at the bottom of our sprint board in the "Issues without epics" section.  The parent task/story has an Epic Link, but these sub-tasks do not seem to have inherited the epic association.

Unfortunately Jira has rigid controls around Epic Links on sub-tasks and I am not able to show this field in order to manually fix it.

See below screenshot showing some sub-taskss in the Issues without epics section, but other sub-tasks in their appropriate Epics.

What is the cause of this and how do I resolve it?

SubTasksNoEpic.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I answered this myself, but I thought I would post the resolution here to assist others.

The problem was due to the fact that the parent Story had been removed from the Sprint with the sub-tasks somehow staying on the Sprint.  With the Story missing the sub-tasks had no parent task to be grouped under.  The sub-tasks inherit their Epic Link from the parent task/story, therefor they were not able to be grouped under the parent which would have been grouped under the epic.

To fix it I located the Parent task and added it back to the Sprint.  After doing this the sub-tasks moved to their appropriate parent task & epic on the board.  See below screenshot:

SubTasksNoEpic2.jpg

I have the same issue... but not the same cause... the parent issue is in same sprint already... still investigating. 

Like # people like this

Did you ever figure it out? We're actually using Kanban and don't have Sprints, so your answer may apply to us as well.

No, @Jerel Crosland, but it appears to be a known bug. Be sure to flag that it affects you to give more attention to this: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16752

Like # people like this

I am using JIRA structure where the levels are Epic, User Story and Subtasks. The subtasks are listed below the correct parent, but additionally listed under "No Epic" as well as their parent is a User Story and not an Epic. Kindly help resolve.

Below are the generators i used

Team-managed projects: extend epics and add sub-tasks
Group by Epic
Insert issues: (Sprint = 162) ORDER BY project
0 votes

Open Parent task and remove Epic link .Now add Epic link again. Now all subtask has removed from without Epics category.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you