Sub-Tasks listed in Issues without Epics when Parent task/story has an Epic Link

Shane Hays October 13, 2020

All of a sudden, at least not due to a reason I could find, some of my sub-tasks are showing up at the bottom of our sprint board in the "Issues without epics" section.  The parent task/story has an Epic Link, but these sub-tasks do not seem to have inherited the epic association.

Unfortunately Jira has rigid controls around Epic Links on sub-tasks and I am not able to show this field in order to manually fix it.

See below screenshot showing some sub-taskss in the Issues without epics section, but other sub-tasks in their appropriate Epics.

What is the cause of this and how do I resolve it?

SubTasksNoEpic.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shane Hays October 13, 2020

I answered this myself, but I thought I would post the resolution here to assist others.

The problem was due to the fact that the parent Story had been removed from the Sprint with the sub-tasks somehow staying on the Sprint.  With the Story missing the sub-tasks had no parent task to be grouped under.  The sub-tasks inherit their Epic Link from the parent task/story, therefor they were not able to be grouped under the parent which would have been grouped under the epic.

To fix it I located the Parent task and added it back to the Sprint.  After doing this the sub-tasks moved to their appropriate parent task & epic on the board.  See below screenshot:

SubTasksNoEpic2.jpg

Stephen Tobin November 12, 2021

I have the same issue... but not the same cause... the parent issue is in same sprint already... still investigating. 

Like # people like this
Jerel Crosland February 9, 2022

Did you ever figure it out? We're actually using Kanban and don't have Sprints, so your answer may apply to us as well.

Stephen Tobin February 28, 2022

No, @Jerel Crosland, but it appears to be a known bug. Be sure to flag that it affects you to give more attention to this: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16752

Like # people like this
Gayathri Rajan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 22, 2022

I am using JIRA structure where the levels are Epic, User Story and Subtasks. The subtasks are listed below the correct parent, but additionally listed under "No Epic" as well as their parent is a User Story and not an Epic. Kindly help resolve.

Below are the generators i used

Team-managed projects: extend epics and add sub-tasks
Group by Epic
Insert issues: (Sprint = 162) ORDER BY project
Like Angie Hatfield likes this
Stephen Tobin March 6, 2023

@Gayathri Rajan It does beg the question as to why your story doesn't have an epic link... are you not using epics or are your stories all in the same "bucket" without additional organization? 

1 vote
Vaishali Chaudhari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 2, 2022

Open Parent task and remove Epic link .Now add Epic link again. Now all subtask has removed from without Epics category.

Kurt Fairfield August 22, 2022

This worked for me with Kanban project. Although one stubborn Sub-task stays stuck in this Issues without Epics regardless of how many times I reset the parent Epic.

Odd behaviour for sure.

Wouter van den Heever May 19, 2023

Our project board display setting for swimlanes is based on epics.

All sub-tasks display correctly in the sprint view and is linked to an epic.
However, when I filter on a specific person, some sub-tasks are displayed under "Issues without Epics"

AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2023

@Kurt Fairfield  

Make sure that all the subtask assignee are same as its parents assignee.

Thanks

Asha

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events