Structure that looks for epics with labels and groups by assignees of the issues within the epics?

Marisa Franz June 28, 2021

Wish: Look at an assignee's != closed tasks and estimates across multiple epics with a specific label. 

Problem: I can't make a query that will make it so I can group by assignee across multiple epics' nested tasks so that I can then look at estimates. Instead it'll say "oh you want to group by assignee? sure--here's the epic's assignee." 

More details: I want to create a filter for JIRA's structure which allows me to look at epics that is labels = ("US") OR fixVersion = 20 AND I want it to show all the items under all of those epics...but the thing is, I don't care about the assignee of the epics themselves. Rather, I care about the assignees with the tasks within the epics.

Wish list: 

assignee in (team("SUPER"), team("COOL")) AND ((fixVersion in (1) OR "Target Release" = 1) OR labels in (hi, bye)) AND status not in ("closed", "done", "approved"). [<--- for epics]

GROUP BY assignee with tasks under those epics

1 answer

1 vote
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 29, 2021

Hello Marisa,

If you want to:
- have Epics in your structure that match the reported query and
- to group tasks of these epics by their assignees,
you can achieve it by:

1. Adding the Insert generator with the mentioned JQL query;
2. Adding the Extend generator that adds Stories under Epics;
3. Adding the Group by Assignee generator and changing its Group on level setting to Next level. Grouping can only be done at a single hierarchy level at a time and you can set a specific level. The default level in your structure would be Epics, but you can change it to tasks underneath them. To change the grouping level, you can just double-click on the added generator at the top of the structure to see its configuration and set it how you like it.

Or, if the search criteria should be applied to stories of epics and you also want to show epics of such stories in a structure, then you can build the structure a bit differently:

1. Add the Insert generator with a needed query to find all matching stories;
2. Add the Group by Assignee generator to group these stories by their Assignee;
3. Add the Group by Epic generator to add parent Epics of these Stories above them.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact us directly at support.almworks.com if you need our further assistance and we'll be back with you shortly.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Marisa Franz July 12, 2021

Hi Stepan, thanks for the response. For this, I am still not getting exactly what I want (apologies for my ignorance here). Doing option 1, It allows me to view the epics and then open each epic to see the assignees and open the assignee to see their tickets. Instead, I am hoping to make it so that I can see all the assignees and then open those and see their tickets across ALL the epics that are within the query. It seems like maybe option 2 which you described would hit it, but I am not getting a query that would work. Can you please help? 

I was still using this query: assignee in (team("SUPER"), team("COOL")) AND ((fixVersion in (1) OR "Target Release" = 1) OR labels in (hi, bye)) AND status not in ("closed", "done", "approved"). 

So instead of opening up the epics and seeing groups by assignees, I want to open up assignees and see all the tickets that are across those epics within those fix versions. 

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2021

Hello Marisa,

You can try to use the Insert generator with the mentioned query and then add the Group by Assignee generator. The Insert generator will add all issues that match the condition and then they will be organized into different groups according to their Assignees.

If this doesn't work, please submit a request at our portal for proper support because we'll need to have a closer look at your setup.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Suggest an answer