Structure bottom up view

Piotr Turek May 30, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to create a structure view starting from bottom and show how the stories are grouped in the parent-child hierarchy. 

I have read through different queries regarding similar topics but nothing that matches my case.

I have stories being a child of a feature. This feature sometimes is a child of another feature or a plan item. I cannot find a way to create a view that will show the following structure starting from the bottom approach (need to make sure all stories are visible - some might be missing a child-parent relation created by team members):

Top level Feature

Child feature 1

Child story 1

Child story 2

Child plan item 1

Child story x

No links

Story3

Story4

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

Hello @Piotr Turek ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the Community!

How to accomplish this grouping is going to depend on how the "Parent and Child" relationship was established.

If you are using Advanced Roadmaps to create the relationship, you can Group by "Parent Issue (Advanced Roadmaps)" which can be found directly under the Group by options, if on-prem, and as a sub-option under the Group by Field option for Cloud.

If you are using some other custom issuelink type, you will first want to identify the issuelink and the direction of the link.  Here you will want to Group by "Issue Links".  This a direct option for both on-prem and Cloud.  You will need to identify the link type and the direction of the link to create the group.

Please let me know if this helps!  If you're uncertain on how the relationships were created, or if anything I mentioned is unclear,  our support team would be happy to review your setup and provide additional guidance.  We can be reached via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best Regards,
David

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

I should also mention that you will want to start with an Insert Generator that defines the issue type you would like to start with.  Additionally, any other criteria the first set of issues (stories) need to meet.

something like Project in (ABC, 123, ETC) AND Issuetype = Story

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Piotr Turek June 15, 2022

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

It is not exactly solving my issue. Couple of points:

1) I am trying to use "structure", not "advanced roadmaps" (plans) feature in JIRA

2) advanced roadmaps doesn't seem to have the options that you have mentioned in your proposed solution such as group by "parent link" or "issue links". Only options visible to me are: None, Assignee, component, label, project, release, sprint, team.

Since my organization doesnt use epics, the option to change hierarchy "story to epic" and "epic to story" doesnt have a use either.

Is there something I am doing wrong that I cannot see the options you mentioned?

Best Regards
Piotr

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
June 15, 2022

Hello @Piotr Turek ,

You are very welcome.

Apologies for any confusion, I was providing a means to solve your use case via Structure.  The reason for my bringing up Advanced Roadmaps is because you mentioned a "parent-child hierarchy" and we need to understand how that relationship was created in order to build your structure appropriately.

We have a lot of information on how to get started with structure that I believe you will find helpful.  If you have any specific questions along the way, I will be more than happy to help.

Please also feel free to contact our support team directly via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer