Structure Plugin - time log detail

Sean M February 18, 2015

We are evaluating the Structure plugin, and are finding a ton to love about it.

It's great that each Structure sums up time spent, estimated & remaining on it. Is there any way to see the details of time logs on any level within a structure? (i.e. not just totals, but totals per individual who worked on some part of the structure)

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2015

Hi Sean,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Structure plugin!

Assuming that only the assignee logs time on any given issue, you could use a separate structure that groups issues by assignee. This can be done with Meta Issues and Filter Synchronizers to pull in issues for each assignee and put them in the right place, perhaps using S-JQL to specify a reference structure that issues should be pulled in from.

(In Structure 3.0 we'll have automated grouping that will produce the same result from your reference structure in just a few clicks)

Logged time can then be summed up for each assignee and viewed in the Time Spent column (or the Work Logged column, if you want to see time spent over a specific period).

Edit: If you have multiple users logging work on the same issues and you need to see 'who did what', or if you just need more detailed time tracking in general, I would suggest taking a look at Tempo Timesheets.

Update: Structure 3.0 is now out and on Atlassian Marketplace

@Sean M - Structure 3.0 supports grouping, so you'll be able to do your quick sum-up of time spent by assignees (and there's lots more in 3.0...)

Please refer to the release notes for detailed instructions on migrating from 2.x

Cheers!

Robert

Sean M February 19, 2015

Hi Robert,

That's good to know about the auto-groupings. I had not thought about creating a separate structure with the same tasks, that gathers the information differently — interesting idea.

Unfortunately, yes, we've got multiple users logging time to tasks. We have been using Tempo for quite a while now, and are familiar with it. I guess it's the intersection of the two (Structure and Tempo) that is our sweet spot, as Tempo's reports don't (far as I know) provide a Structure-centric view. I did see a few threads about APIs for both plugins, and we might be able to roll our own solution with the APIs.

Thanks very much for the info!

Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2015

Sean, glad to be of help! I'm sorry I can't suggest a more elegant solution right now. We're aware of a need for Tempo integration, it would be great if you could share your requirements with us. We have http://structure.uservoice.com for feature requests, as well as our public JIRA. If you're going to homebrew something, please let us know about it. Our API is extensively documented (https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Structure+Developer%27s+Guide) and we're always excited to see it in use. Should you need assistance, jira.almworks.com and our support@almworks email are fast and friendly.

Suggest an answer