Structure Formula gets "The formula could not be parsed..."

Paul Doman May 31, 2022

Hello,

I'm using JIRA server 8.5 and exploring Structure Formula tools to enhance sprint management. The first project successfully added enhanced issue status for sub-tasks based on very nested JQL, conditional expressions and Wiki Markup (very nice).

The next project is to start digging further into what is happening in the issue. For example, to show which blockers are involved, and to elaborate that to distinguish between closed and still open blockers. So, I have copied as a starting point the example for the Structure Manual  (v7_3.pdf, exported 2021-11-08, page 233):

WITH _format(issue) = """[${issue.key}|${issue.url}]""" :
issuelinks
.FILTER($.type = 'Blocks' AND $.destination = this)
.MAP(_format($.source))

Copying this into a new formula yields the error "Cannot parse expression, expected characters =...".

A similar outcome befalls this copy/paste from the Structure manual:

subtasks.MAP("""[${$.key}|${$.url}]""")

which gets the error "Cannot parse expression, expected: characters ,:)"

I have explored other cookbook examples but with similar results.

What do I need to do differently so that this will work as expected?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

Hello @Paul Doman ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the Community!!

What version of Structure are you currently on?  You can find this by clicking on the info button in the bottom right corner of Structure.

The Array (.MAP) and Text Snippet (""" """) functionality in the example formulas above was introduced in Structure 7.0, along with a number of other Expr (formula) related enhancements.  If you are using an earlier version, this example formula will not work without upgrading.

Please let me know if this helps. 

If you are on Structure 7.0 or higher, please reach out to our support team via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best Regards,
David

Paul Doman May 31, 2022

Thank you David,

INFO reveals that we are using Structure 6.6.0, so an upgrade would resolve my issue.

In the meantime I will continue to explore.

Kind regards

Paul

Like # people like this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

You are most welcome!

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this

Suggest an answer