Structure - Can't group by Install Date, Why

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2019

I want to group a structure using our "Install Date" field, but it does not show in the drop down values to select as an option to group by. Why is that? Is there a way for me to group by it?

structure features.jpg

JIRA Server: 7.6.9

Structure: 4.5.1

2 answers

0 votes
Marina KOKINA April 7, 2021

Hi @Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_ , 

How can I group my structure by quarters, please ? Which formula i need to apply ?

Regards,

Marina

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

Hello Marina,

Such grouping can be done if issues in your structure have a field from which the quarter value can be taken and used for grouping(or you can use either a Formula column to set a specific value to specific issues or to just set dates manually in the Notes column if you don't have any actual fields in Jira for this).

To be able to recommend you a specific formula, we would need to see your setup in detail. So please send us the screenshot of your structure and tell us if there is a field with the quarter value that you want to use or not, and if there is, what kind of data this field shows(is it a number field with the quarter or a date field from which you want to extract the quarter value). Please reach out to us directly at support.almworks.com and we'll get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholoov
ALM Works

Marina KOKINA April 7, 2021

Thank you Stepan :),

I can't acces your site from Chrome :(

We will be based on the date of creation. 

Regards,

Marina

image.png

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

I'm sorry to hear that. In case you decide to submit a request with us, please try clearing browser cookies - there is a known bug with Service Desk that can cause access problems and clearing cookies can help. Or you can just send an email directly to support@almworks.com

As for the grouping - it would require adding a Formula column first for creating quarters values based on the Created field and then to use this Formula column in the Text Attribute... grouper. You can try this formula:

with m = month(created):
if(m=12 or m=1 or m=2, "Q1") or
if(m=3 or m=4 or m=5, "Q2") or
if(m=6 or m=7 or m=8, "Q3") or
if(m=9 or m=10 or m=11, "Q4")

The formula will extract the month value for each issue with the Created date and then return a quarter text indicator according to how you set it.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Marina KOKINA April 8, 2021

Thank you @Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_ for your help !

Before seeing your message, I created a Formula (Month) column: MONTH (DateTime) where DateTime is the creation date, then, I created another Formula (Quarter) column: CASE (month ; "1"; "T1-2021"; "2"; "T1-2021"; "3"; "T1-2021"; "4"; "T2-2021"; "5"; "T2-2021" ; "6"; "Q2-2021"; "7"; "Q3-2021"; "8"; "Q3-2021"; "9"; "Q3-2021"; "10"; "Q4-2021" ; "11"; "Q4-2021"; "12"; "Q4-2021") where "month" is the "Month" column and I grouped it by the Quarter column! And it worked ! My solution is very similar to yours!

Thank you very much :)image.png

Marketplace Partner
April 8, 2021

Great formula, thank you for sharing it! I'm glad to hear it works.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you need help with anything else.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
February 21, 2019

Hello Jana,

Grouping by dates is possible through a different mechanism which can be provided by the Formula column. You would need to add a Formula column to your structure and use this formula in it: FORMAT_DATETIME(InstallDate, "yyyy-MM-dd").

After dates are displayed in the column, a Group generator can be added by clicking + | Group | Text Attribute... | Group By: Used in Columns(select the Formula column on the list). As a result, issues should be grouped according to their Install Date field values.

Additionally, issues can be grouped not just by specific dates but by months, days, quarters etc. by extracting a needed parameter from the date field with a formula and then applying the grouper.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us at our Service Desk portal at support.almworks.com in case you you need further assistance with grouping or with anything else.

Best regards,

Stepan Kholodov

ALM Works

Rupesh March 31, 2023

Is group by column removed? How can we achieve this now?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
April 7, 2023

Hello @Rupesh ,

Welcome to the Community!

The functionality is Group by Attribute.  It is only available for on-prem hosted instances at the moment.  There are plans to introduce it on Cloud.

Please let me know if this helps.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer