Strange Jira issue in sprint exchange, any workarounds?

thekeno February 26, 2020

I tried changing sprints (end old one – start a new one), but there was a weird problem:

- When I tried to finish “Sprint 36”, it first refused to transfer issues to anything other than Backlog; I didn't do that (so I would have wanted to transfer them to “Sprint 37”)

- Jira Help / Community found suggestion: Activate new starting sprint, then move all previous sprint stuff/issues to new one, stop old sprint

- I did that

The result was that there were now two activated sprints, “36 and 37”, with all their issues, that were in thus sprints already.

- Then Jira refuses to transfer items from “sprint 36” to anything other than either Backlog or “Sprint 38” later sprints than “38”. Not to sprint 37, it was not even available.

Then I thought that the only way to do the sprint change is to open both sprints “36” & “37” in the backlog and then mark all “sprint 36” issues, move them to “sprint 37” as a whole, then stop “sprint 36”.  So you should only have as active the “sprint 37” – during this I got an error message: “your scope of the sprint 37 will change, do you really want to do this….” – then I thought better not do that at all now.

My colleague found the work-around-solution by trying the following steps:

- He created a new sprint: “Sprint 37 (new)”, the old/previous “sprint 37” was somehow stuck or not working properly in Jira

- Then he ended “sprint 36”, let Jira move all issues to that new one “Sprint 37 (new)”

- He stopped the old sprint 37, moved to the “Sprint 37 (new)”

- Then he started (activated) the new 37 sprint, “Sprint 37 (new)”, and after that renamed it as “sprint 37”

- After this, he completely destroyed the empty and finished “old 37”

Now at least it seems to be the normal in Jira!

QUESTIONS:

- Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

- What solutions have you taken, if any?

- Did this cause any problems later in sprint reporting, for example?

0 answers

Suggest an answer