Storypoints for product backlog estimation, hours for sprint planning?

James Birch September 19, 2019

Storypoints for product backlog estimation, hours for sprint planning?

Hi,

I just completed a scrummaster training course. The trainer recommended using storypoints for product backlog estimation and then switching to task estimation in hours and capacity-driven sprint planning (using the velocity as a sanity check).  

Does JIRA supports this? If so, how should I configure JIRA?

Many thanks,

James

1 answer

1 vote
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

Hi @James Birch

Just to clarify you'll have:

• A Scrum Board with a backlog of stories to complete, sized in story points
  • Sub-tasks created under stories in the sprints (active / future planned)
  • Hours estimates on the sub-tasks
  • Time tracking on the sub-tasks (i.e time spent against the original estimates given)

^ It's not an unheard of approach - but boards usually taken into account one type of estimation, which you can set via the Board Configuration under "Estimation".

So this means you could have either/or on one board - not both. The sub-task estimates do roll-up to story level but as a summary (Remaining Sum) rather than an estimate, which is still set at a story level.

There will be a way of doing this - but I'd suggest keeping it simple:

• Story Points or Time for stories
  • Use this estimation type to plan sprints
  • Set time at sub-task level but just for tracking and reporting purposes

Ste

James Birch September 19, 2019

Thanks Ste for the info. That's what I thought, but not what was recommended. The trainer also recommended stopping tracking actuals and just working from Done tasks and velocity.

I suppose we could:

Use Storypoints for estimation and velocity.

Use original estimate or remaining estimate for assigning tasks (with storypoints as a sanity check)

Stop logging work completely and use velocity for all planning.

Or will that not work?

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

Possible? Sure - not sure I see the value though.

If you're going to estimate sub-tasks in hours to use in planning - I'd suggest the actual time spent is equally as important - otherwise, how will you know if the estimate was near accurate? How can you retrospect if your sprint planning was a success or not?

I'm also a little weary of considering story points and hours during planning - I'd usually advise doing just one, to avoid a scenario where story points become based off time. 

Story points are based on the Fibonacci scale to both have teams think harder around the complexity / effort of work and it helps to avoid points equalling hours (eg. 1 = 1 hour, 2 = 2 hour) unlike in a more linear system (eg. 1-10). 

Ste

Suggest an answer