Story Points not showing up in Issue Navigator or export, but shows up in Configure Columns?

I've seen this question posted under Documentation but have not seen an answer. The Story Points field is not showing up in Issue Navigator (or export), but shows up in Configure Columns? (You can even see the point values of the first few records in this view.) But when you go back to the Issues Navigator the Story Points field does not show up. Also, if you choose either the All or Current Fields export, the points field does not come through. Points otherwise work normally. They show up in burndown charts, velocity charts, appear on cards etc. Points are not applied to all issue types (just Stories, Epics and Bugs). We're on Jira 5.1 and GH 6.0.

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Wow. You were correct. I had to explicitly add issuetype = "Story" into the query, even though the issues had points, the field wouldn't appear until I explicitly added the issuetype into the query string. (Seems like a bug to me...)

My first guess is that your Story Points field only has a context for certain issue types and/or projects, and your filter might return issues that don't have story points. Annoyingly (but explainable, sort of), the issue navigator won't show the column in those cases.

Try a simple search that only returns one project and issue type (and make sure one of your issues has it)

It's by design, and I questioned it when I first saw it. I understand the reasoning that Atlassian ran through with me, and it makes sense.

But I still disagree with it, simply because it makes no sense to anyone who hasn't been doing this for <mumble> years and even though we might understand the logic, it's still instinctively wrong.

Not a bug, because it's behaving as designed. But it's definitely broken.

I honestly have never understood the reasoning and have had to remove all issue type contexts because of this problem. Consequently, we get no value out of this feature in which we could receive lots of value if it weren't for the reporting. If they allow this feature and allow cross-project/issues type filters, other programs simply show the column but have no value since it is not applicable for that record.

A user has NO IDEA what fields are valid for each issue type -- and they shouldn't. This feature should help the administrator implement what makes the most senses and easiest for the end user. That is why I originally used the feature. But because I received several questions every week about why they couldn't see or export specific fields, over many months and even after explaining the 'why', I finally removed all of my issue context implementations.

We have similar reporting in our products -values specific to certain features or modules. But, reporting doesn't care and doesn't expect the user to know what is valid or not valide for those features. If there is no value for the field because the field doesn't exist, we dipaly nothing or a null value.

i am still having issues with this. i can acualty see the story point in the issue navigator configure columns page but when i switch back nothing is there.. even after i do whats stated above the best part is i can filter by story point and specify a number (1,2,3,5) but i can actually see the numbers

Do all issues in your filter criteria have the story point field enabled for them? You might try selecting issue types that you know story points is associated with them and see if you still have the problem.

I too have exactly the same problem. My query is like this

project = myproject AND status != done AND labels in (mylabel) and issuetype = story

The project has jira agile enabled and story points show up for all issues of "type = story". Therefore, I am at a loss of whats wrong.

we are using JIRA v6.0.6#6105-sha1:9713ad1

and jira agile 6.3.9

any help would be highly appreciated.

Here is the hack, add the line below to the end of your query and it will start to show story points for all issue types.

AND ("Story Points" is EMPTY or "Story Points" is not EMPTY)

the workaround does not work for me :(

The workaround works great for me! Thank you Akshay!

Doesn't work for me either.

Sometimes it doesn't work due to story points not being selected (i think). Using the below instead should work if the above does not.

AND (issuetype = "Story" OR issuetype != "Story")

For me, in Greenhopper V6.2.3, this issue is still existing. If you view Stories within the issue navigator for a RUNNING sprint, the Storypoints are show as a column. If you search Stories via issueFunction in inSprint("BOARDNAME", "SPRINTNAME"), the Storypoints are not shown. This is described in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29432 and is not resolved for my version. The above shown workaround, adding AND ("Story Points" is EMPTY OR "Story Points" is not EMPTY), does work for me.

For Online Version at least you need to make it global context for some reason even when i specified the project it was not showing

Yea, I finally had given up and had to remove all my field configurations to make them global because I kept running into problems as well as mass user confusion because they have no idea - with 40+ projects and 35 issue types, they never narrow down using issue type.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

292 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you