Story Points field disappeared?

Arlene Barrow June 25, 2018

When my team and I went to create a new sprint today, we found that all of our story points had disappeared. On the Backlog page, the points no longer appear next to the issue number, even for stories that our team has previously pointed. And when I click into a specific ticket, the "Story Points" field has disappeared. The story points are also not appearing on the active sprint page. 

As far as I know, no one on our team has changed anything since our last sprint, so I'm at a loss as to what happened. Can you help me get this sorted out? 

Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Delali Dzirasa June 25, 2018

It's odd - the field is still tied to the screen - see below:

Screenshot 2018-06-25 12.38.58.png

When I check the options on the issue screen to check to add the new field the Story Points option isn't available to check off.  When i click the "where is my field" option it just spins and never opens up the helper page. 

Screenshot 2018-06-25 13.27.29.png

Screenshot 2018-06-25 12.37.57.png

Ideas?

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018

@Delali Dzirasa

If you click on "Where is my Field" and type in Story Points what does it say? All green ticks or any X's

What about permissions? The Manage Sprints permission to be exact. 

Delali Dzirasa June 25, 2018

For the first part....when I click "Where is my Field" I get the spinner graphic from above and it just hangs....I never get to the next screen. 

Good call on the permissions.  I just checked those also and its assigned to the Admin role and confirmed that we tested with a user with that access.  Still no dice. We can do everything else with the sprint except get to that field.  @Brittany Wispell

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

If that is hanging maybe check the logs to see if there is anything else weird? 

Is this an Atlassian Cloud instance? You might want to reach out to Support if the issue persists. 

Delali Dzirasa June 27, 2018

We put in a support ticket...for community benefit here was the fix / answer from support:

"

I've checking the configurations of the custom field Story points on your instance and I was able to identify why they are missing from the projects and showing on others.

This is happening because the custom field for Story Points appeared to have been linked to only a fixed list of projects, I've switch it to global and the story points field was there back.

"

Like # people like this
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

Ah! I'm glad they were able to help! That explains a lot. 

You can write the solution as a separate comment and have the original creator of the question mark it as an accepted answer. 😃

Kelli Frattini-Adams February 28, 2020

OMG! I've been banging my head against the wall and trying to figure this out for hours! This is the ONLY post that explains it. Thanks so much @Brittany Wispell  :-)

0 votes
christine_stpierre July 19, 2023

Our story points field also suddenly disappeared.

After trying all the other options listed herein, what I found to work was the following.

In the right rail, there appears to be a limit to the number of fields that can be displayed.
Once I moved some fields from the Details section to the More section

The story points field now returned.

In our instance, we have a handful of plugins that, unfortunately, take up
more space than we'd like. Nonetheless, it would be ideal if JIRA alerted the user
that there is a constraint here; it would have saved a lot of time and frustration of trying to identify the issue

0 votes
Deleted user March 31, 2021

Story points field is missing on my Task ticket. Help!

Capture.PNG

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2021

Hey! Have you tried viewing the ticket from a board? 

There also looks to be 2 hidden fields on the right-hand side. 

Deleted user April 1, 2021

I have tried it but its still missing.Capture.PNG

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2021

Hey @[deleted] 

Is this a Next-gen project or a classic software project? 

Also, it looks like this project has Time Tracking instead of story points. 

Have you confirmed that the issue type you're using has 'Story Points' on the screen? 

If it has recently gone missing, you can contact your site admin to make sure that a context was not set on the story points field that could keep it from showing up in your project. 

-Brittany

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Hey!

Have you made sure that it is still on the screen and you're not sharing a screen with another project that might have removed it? 

You can also try the "Where is my Field?" see images below. I used story points as my example. I hope some of this helps! 

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.32.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.32.53 AM.png

Hi everyone, thanks for the help! We've done a bit of digging on our end, and we think that something else might be the problem. I'm roping in our resident Jira expert to provide more details @Delali Dzirasa 

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Wonderful! Glad to hear! Good luck :) 

Thank you!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

Probably the field got dropped from the screens? The value will still be there in DB if that is the case. An admin just need to add the field into the screens. You can the "Field helper" to debug.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/jira-admin-helper-861253933.html#JIRAAdminHelper-FieldHelper

On the other hand, if an admin deleted the field, you will have a bigger problem. You will have to look at a backup to restore old data!

Thank you for the help!

Suggest an answer