Story Points at the sub task level/velocity per assignee on JIRA Server

tstebbin February 25, 2020

I have seen a lot of the reasoning behind the WHY of why subtasks should NOT be story pointed (against Agile principles,etc). However, I am working as a BA/ScrumMaster for a manager that wants to actually see velocity per assignee. I have tried creating a test story and simply story pointing at the sub task level. Here is the example: Test User Story with two subtasks - Testing (2 story points) and Development (2 story points). As many have noticed, these subtask story points do not roll up to be the total for the entire story. So my question is, if I do story point at the subtask level. when the subtasks and the story are ultimately completed, will the subtasks story points be accounted for on the velocity chart?

Moreover, has anyone found a way to essentially calculate velocity per assignee with the JQL? It seems like most of the canned dashboard "gadgets" look more at the count of issues, which takes no consideration on the weight of an issue. Why does it matter? If a team is working on multiple boards within a project, if I create something like a pie chart for workload, simply counting the issues per assignee is not accurate. Thanks in advance for any advice - I am about a month into using JIRA and trying to improve how my team is using it.

1 answer

0 votes
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2020

Hello @tstebbin

Welcome to the Community and welcome to Jira!

You mentioned the reasoning behind the story pointing at the sub-task level for your manager. As this is a complexity measurement which is subjective to the project environment, the team composition, the technical limits, etc. what does your manager hope to gain from looking at story points at a per assignee level rather than original estimates vs. actual time on a per assignee level? 

Thanks,

Danny

Suggest an answer