Story Points Estimate Bubble on Backlog Issues

christopher_branaman January 2, 2024

Working in JIRA Cloud, Company-Managed, Classic Project. I'm experiencing a few issues regarding the estimate bubbles in the backlog and I'm not sure if there is a settings issue (user error) or if things are simply working as intended.

Issue #1

For some reason, the Not Started value always appears as zero. Should it not be showing a Story point total for all Cards not in progress (To Do column with Status of Not Started)?

412405844_3166855753459365_4858785603852454268_n.png

The In Progress value always shows the total number of story points in the release for all cards that are not in one of the completed statuses (Done, Cancelled, etc). Meaning it shows total value for cards in In Progress, as well as the To Do/Not Started cards.

The Completed value will always show the total number of story points completed for the release but only for user Story cards. It does not include the points completed for planned Bugs which we also assign Story points to.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2024

Hello @christopher_branaman 

Those bubbles will show the totals for the issues in the matching Status Categories.

Every Status belongs to a Status Category. The Statuses and Status Categories are color coded:

Category Name Category (and Status) color 
To Do  gray 
In Progress  blue 
Done  green

And the totals will be only for the standard level issues (i.e. Task, Story, Bug, etc.), not for any sub-task type of issues. If story points from Bug type issues are not being included, you should check if your Bug issue has been classified as a Sub-task issue type instead of a standard level issue type.

Can you show us the list of issues in the sprint, showing their Status and Story Points value? Obscure the issue Summaries if necessary. Example:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.01.42 AM.png

Can you show us a screen image from your Project Settings > Summary page for the Issue Types Scheme? Example:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.00.21 AM.png

christopher_branaman January 3, 2024

Here is an example from the backlog, as well as a screenshot of the Issue Type Scheme

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (54).png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2024

Can you share with us a screen image of the Estimation page from your Board Configuration so we can confirm what you selected there?

Can you also show us a screen image of one of these issues, showing the field that has the points estimate?

christopher_branaman January 4, 2024

Here are the requested screenshots

Example Story

Screenshot (56).png

Estimation Settings

Screenshot (57).png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2024

Thank you for those additional screen images.

At this point I am not seeing anything that explains why this is occurring.

Do all users see the same thing?

Have you tried other browsers, and/or a Chrome Incognito window?

As a test, can you create a new scrum board that uses the same filter as this current scrum board, and check if the problem persists in the new board?

If the problem does persist in the new scrum board, and for all users, and in all browsers, the next step will be for you to open a case directly with Atlassian Support. That can be done by a Jira Administrator, Site Admin, or Organization Admin.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

christopher_branaman January 5, 2024

I confirmed that it does still happen in an Incognito window. I also created a new project and was able to replicate the issue. I will submit a support ticket. Thank you.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2024

I'm sorry I wasn't able to figure out the solution.

It would be great if you report back here what you learn from Atlassian support, so that we all can learn from your experience.

christopher_branaman January 5, 2024

I spoke to customer support via chat (awesome new feature), and I found out it was a simple settings problem on our end.

In the Board Settings, under Columns, we utilize an additional column called "In Triage".

According the customer support the To Do points display is based on the To Do column being placed at the farthest left position. Since we have a different column there (which is a blue = In Progress status), the system is returning a zero value for To Do (Grey = To Do status).

Screenshot (58).png

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2024

Well, I learned something new! I erroneously assumed the summary bubbles aligned with the Status Categories. I had no idea that the gray bubble was based on the left-most column, and requires that column to be a status in the "To Do" status category. I'm going to have to experiment with that.

Thank you for sharing what you learned!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events