Story Point Estimate vs Actual Time Spent

Joe Murphy December 17, 2020

Hello,

I am trying to come up with a way to view how long team members have spent on a ticket vs the story points they estimated. I know there are several reports to view similar stats but I have not found a way to review a specific sprint by story points estimated vs actual time spent on a ticket. any ideas on how to do this would be helpful. thank you.

-Joe

3 answers

1 vote
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 23, 2020

Hello @Joe Murphy 

You can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud, which calculates not only estimated time but time in status, average, and assignee ones. 

To get the estimated time, you just need to choose the "Estimate" field in the column manager.

I hope, you find it helpful

Best regards, Mariana

tis_estimate.jpg

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Comparing story points with time spent is like comparing apples and buildings.  They're totally different things and there is no useful equivalence you can draw.  If you can do it in your process, then consider dumping story points and just using hours as your sprint metric.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Yes, and...

Then you may consider using build cycle time (start of work until delivery duration) when the team wants to review historical efforts to help with future forecasting and improvement experiments.

__Bill

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
1 vote
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

I have observed teams adding a custom field for Actual Story Points that they update during sprint close. If you choose this path, you would create a custom field, and update your screens to include it. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events