Stories create Sub Tasks instead of Tasks

Michael Neumann December 19, 2023

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a problem where Stories always generate Sub Tasks instead of Tasks when a new Child Issue is created.

SCR-20231219-jjic.png

I need it to create a task so that I have another level of Sub Tasks at my disposal.

Thanks for your help

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Antuan Sammak _ FusionTech Innovations
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2023

Hi @Michael Neumann 

Story and Task are on the same level in Jira, so you cant have a Task linked to a Story as a child. 

I hope this addresses your question, and in case i got it wrong it would be great to elaborate more about the use case you are trying achieve.

regards,

Michael Neumann December 19, 2023

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that Tasks are children of Stories 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2023

They can be, but your admins have defined "Task" as the name of an issue type at the same level as story, so they are not sub-tasks in your system. 

That is actually the default in Jira, so it might not be a deliberate choice by your admins - Bugs, Tasks, Issues, Stories and so on are base-level issues, and then things like technical-tasks are sub-task types.  It is not uncommon to see people rename the default "task" to something else, or even remove it completely, so that they can then add "task" as a sub-task type.

Have a chat with your admins - if no-one is using "task" at that level, then they might be able to rename it and then create a new "task" type as a sub-task.  If not, then maybe go to them with a new name for a sub-task type that you would like to use  (One place I know uses "Task" and "task." - all of their sub-task types are lowercase, and their base-level issues capitalised.  I find it a bit clumsy, but it works for them)

eternal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 7, 2024

how and where to make that change ? 
I want the flow : EPIC --> story --> task
currently EPIC --> Story and EPIC --> Task

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2024

Go to Admin -> issues -> issue types, find the extra EPIC issue type you have added and simply delete it (or rename it to something sensible that tells the user it's at the same level as story)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events