CSV created along with Sequence Field

• Sequence, My Parent, Summary
  • 001, ,Story-a
  • 002, 001,Subtask-a1
  • 003, 001,Subtask-a2
  • 004, ,Story-b
  • 005, 004,Subtask-b1
  • 006, 004,Subtask-b2

Can't find any field in JIRA to which i can map the sequence field of csv file.

Once CSV field is upload and process successfully, Stories and sub task were created but not in sequence as requested above. Please suggest ? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

Can you clarify why it is important to have imported Jira issues created in a specific order?

Are you trying to control what Jira Key is assigned to each issue? Or is there some other goal?

ankit gulati June 11, 2021

I need to create the Stories and Sub-task for my project and there are huge in number.  Creating the stories and sub-task manual consumes a lot of time. To save the time, I used this current functionality of JIRA i.e. Import issues from CSV.

After the creating stories and subtask from through this functionality found that JIRA system first creates all stories and then creates the sub-tasks and linked them based on issued id and parent id mentioned by user in the CSV.

Just want to know is there any possibilities that JIRA will generates stores and their sub-task in sequence like I have mentioned above.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

I think the reason Jira import works this way is because when exporting issues, there is no guarantee that the parent story will appear earlier in the export than it's child subtasks (for example). Similar problem with Epics and Stories.

There are two approachs that will work, between importing "everything" and importing "one at a time".

1. Do individual imports of groups. Each group starts with a Story, followed by the Subtasks for that Story. This will guarantee the order you desire, at the expense of one import per Story+children.
  2. Do two imports: first all Stories, then all the Subtasks. The greatly reduces the number of imports, at the expense of slightly altering the ordering from what you have outlined.

Still curious why the order matters.

Like ankit gulati likes this

One of the stakeholders from our project requested it during the project meeting. Secondly, I have to apply the multi-level of sorting in excel to arrange subtask below their parent stories.

0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Hi @ankit gulati 

I think to get the sequence you would need to add each one manually so that the Key is given to the issue before you add the next one

That will be time consuming task....

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Hi @ankit gulati 

I agree it would be - but if you needed them in the particular sequence as above then I think you would need to do that.

As Mykenna has asked above, can you explain why you need them in sequence?

Suggest an answer