Stories/Effort Added After Sprint Started Not in Sprint Report

Our team is using JIRA to track our sprint work. Currently we are experiencing the following issue. If a story is added after the sprint was started, or effort increases in a story that’s in a current sprint, the additional points are not being considered in the sprint report and is incorrectly stating the team’s velocity.

Is there anything we can do about this?

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Robert,

We observed this issue too and we haven't found a way to force the JIRA Agile Velocity Report to acknowledge story point changes after the sprint is started. It's deceiving because the point field on a story can be edited even after the story is in an active sprint.

We are now extremely cautious in making sure all stories have the correct point value when starting the sprint (or in the case of pulling in a story to an active sprint, we make sure it contains the appropriate point value before adding it to an active sprint).

In the event of a story becoming larger after the sprint starts, my teams don't adjust the point value. Instead, we discuss it in the retrospective to determine what caused us to under-estimate the story.

Hi Preston, Robert,

You may also be interested in voting and watching GHS-8776 which incorporates a change in behaviour to better capture a change in the sprint commitment.

GHS-8776 - As a Scrum Master, I want the story points completed to also include added in user stories that were completed in the Sprint and Velocity Reports and not just committed user story points.

Thanks, have a super 2014!

Cheers,
Nicholas Muldoon
@njm

-----

New Agile Team? Getting started with JIRA? Check out JIRA for Agile Teams.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,300 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot