Stop sprints from other projects displaying in the Sprint drop-down list when creating an issue?

William Chambers May 30, 2017

I know this issue is partially existing in other questions relating to tickets in other sprints displaying on boards but my concern is specific to the creation of a ticket.

Issue

When you create a ticket in project A, the sprint drop down field displays all available sprints from Project A, Project B, Project C etc.

Expected behaviour

Creating a ticket for a project should only be able to be added to a sprint in that project.

UPDATE - Vote for this functionality here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-10805 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2017

Hi William,

There is actually on open Suggestion for this that you can find at JSWSERVER-10805.

Currently, there does not seem to be anything that limits which Sprint an issue can be added into when done via the Issue View Screen (with the 'Sprint' field). This can cause confusion as it could show Sprints from boards from a different project or cause users to link the issue to the wrong Sprint due to Sprints having the same name.

The suggested workaround is as follows:

Since Sprint names are not unique in JIRA, try using unique Sprint names with a prefix of the Project so that it will be easier to distinguish them.

At this time I would recommend going to JSWSERVER-10805, voting on the issue and leaving comments for the developers so that feature request can gain additional impact so it can be added to JIRA.

Cheers,

Branden

William Chambers June 1, 2017

Thanks. Have updated the original question to direct others to the issue. I can see the issue was created in 2014 and hasn't been done yet. 

Since 2014, Aaron Mooy has:

• Signed from Western Sydney Wanderers to Melbourne City
  • Won the Melbourne City player of the year award
  • Broke the record for number of assists in a season (20)
  • Became a key member in the Australian national team
  • Signed from Melbourne City to Manchester City
  • Was placed on loan to Huddersfield town (Championship)
  • Voted by the fans as the player of the year
  • Scored a penalty at Wembley to help secure promotion to the Premier League in the play-off final

That's a lot of progress so I am a little concerned at the comparitive lack of progress of this issue.

Like # people like this
Christine Saxon July 25, 2017

This  ^^^  =)

Like ChrisR likes this
Jenny Streett August 12, 2019

2 years have passed (5 since the original question was asked) and still no progress.

Like # people like this
cbhandal March 5, 2020

This is woeful behaviour. You need to scroll through other people's sprints to find yours buried in there, or you have to resort to the keyboard and type in a project prefix every time, assuming you went to the trouble of prefixing all your sprints with your project key.

Like # people like this
Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2020

I currently am facing this issue. I closed a sprint because a projectadmin wasnt able to. 2 iriitated customer calls later i really wish there would be a possibility to limit sprints to projects, since it turned out i closed the sprint of another project. Nothing major, and could probably have been avoided had i looked closer, but still. Come on JIRA.

Like ChrisR likes this
ChrisR April 20, 2020

This is a big thing for us as well. We have hundreds of projects going on at the same time with similar sprints names and they sometimes get crossed up which presents problems in multi-projects.

Daniel Sykes May 21, 2020

Please fix this! It's terrible UX.
Every week someone accidentally assigns a task to a sprint in another project - which in turn causes all sorts of issues when trying to create new sprints, other automation rules, etc. We only have 15 users in Jira, how a large organisation with 100s of users can bear this I can't imagine!

Like # people like this
Grossmann Gábor May 28, 2020

This issue is a nonsense, unreasonable behavior... i do not see how can one think as a low prio issue., 

Like # people like this
Igor Hoogerwoord September 8, 2020

This is keeping us from using sprints effectively at Eventix, it means we have to fix lost issues in incorrect sprints and see too many suggestion when assigning issues to sprints.

Kunwar Khalid September 16, 2020

Its a pain for my company as well. We have a specific convention that we follow for all projects and this bug keeps messing things up. 

Thomas Herrington-Trueman December 8, 2020

The linked issue at the top of the page has been marked as resolved, but this appears to be for the on-prem version. The Cloud version https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-10805 is still open which is ridiculous! This is a really frustrating problem that needs a resolution! 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jill Boyette November 11, 2020

Great, just came to the board to figure out how to do this and it looks like I can't and it's been an outstanding issue for a long time.  We inherited a classic project from our third-party vendor when we started our in-house dev team.  Simplifying our going-forward work with a Next-Gen project and love it so far except the Sprint list that includes dozens of outstanding Sprints that were apparently from the previous vendor's other client projects.  Those projects aren't even in our version but I still see them.

0 votes
Tina Maddox October 24, 2022

This is a huge issue for our company as well.  We currently have two projects that somehow connected issues to both projects and when one closes a sprint it inadvertently closes the other project's sprint which does not run on the same schedule. I have been attempting to fix it but nothing is actually working from what I am finding in the docs.

HELP

Suggest an answer