Steps to connect company database with JIRA 4.3.4 mysql database

Kalyan Kumar Das September 6, 2018

We are using JIRA 4.3.4 mysql database and my company database is using MSSQL.

I want to connect the JIRA database with my company database i.e MSSQL. So that we can populate the Employee information on JIRA such as project name, project manager name, birthday,Employee-ID, employee project start and end date etc. Whenever the ticket is raised then it will populate everything as per the client requirement or user can view the employee information by searching the employee name.

Kindly suggest me or provide me the link so that i can follow the steps for connecting the JIRA  and my company database.

Also provide me the plugin name for auto-search the employee name.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2018

Hi Kalyan,

First I would be remiss to say that you may want to look at upgrading Jira. Version 4.3 was released over 7 years ago and is well out of support. There are tons of new features to take a look at in addition to bug fixes and stability improvements. Our migration hub will help walk you through an upgrade path.

Now to your question about pulling employee data. There's an add-on called User Profiles for Jira that can pull user data and make it available in user's profiles and available for use in JQL. Since you mentioned your company has MS SQL, I'll take a guess that you also have Active Directory so this add-on should have a pretty good fit for you. The add-on pulls data via LDAP instead of a raw database connection.

If you need to get that data in to Jira to use in a different way or directly from MS SQL, check out the nFeed add-on. The data can be safely synced into Jira for use in custom fields (for example, a list of all project leads if you have those in a SQL table somewhere) without making it unsafe to upgrade Jira versions later.

Note that for both of the add-ons, you may need to upgrade Jira in order to be able to use them. Not sure if they support back as far back as Jira 4.3 :)

Cheers,
Daniel

Kalyan Kumar Das September 11, 2018

@Daniel Eads:

Thanks Daniel for giving the solutions. Both add-ons version are compatible with version 6.2 and above version. 

Suggest an answer